Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Media Master Problems

Hi there,<br><br>I'm having some odd issues with the Media Master control on my Windows 2000 Professional desktop.<br><br>From within the VMO, I can successfully play back messages through my soundcard (SB64). I cannot have Unity call me over the phone. I get the error "Telephone Record and Playback" "Unknown problems are preventing the connection to the server". What's odd is that it works on other machines, and the fact that I can play over my soundcard indicates a good connection to the server. The server name is well configured, and the extention is correct...<br><br>Another odd problem to add to this is that I cannot playback or record from either phone nor soundcard in the AA. The "play" and "record" buttons are greyed out.<br><br>I've try removing the controls, and reinstalling them, but no go.<br><br>Any ideas on what is going on here?<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Media Master Problems

Just because you can playback messages from your sound card does not mean you have a good connection to your server... When using the sound card we're streaming right out of the message store on Exchange (i.e. it doesn't go through the Unity server to get you). When doing a TRAP session your client has to ping the unity box, tell it to grab the message stream and then dial you up on your phone to play back (all very nifty).

This is the most common scenario I see here (i.e. DNS resolution issue, wrong machine name etc...). If you pop open a DOS box on that client and ping the Unity server using the name/IP address in your Media Master configuration and it works, THEN you can be sure you've got a clear connection.

There's issues with firewalls and proxy servers here as well... we use DCOM to do the connection and it doesn't play nice going through a proxy so be sure you have a direct connection.

also make sure you have working ports configured to do TRAP dialouts... you should get a different error message in that case (i.e. there are no ports configured to dial out).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies