cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Media Resource Group Selection order

tlomonaco
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for information on how resources are selected in CM. Here are my questions:

If I am not using Media Resource Groups(MRG), and I have a Software Conference Bridge, and a Hardware Conference Bridge, which resource gets used first? I had seen a document on this a while back, but I can't seem to find it.

I have resources allocated to MRG's. I also have resources which are not allocated to any MRG. When I assign a device to the Media Resource Group List, which includes the MRG's, does the device have access to the resources that are not in any MRG?

I have resources allocated to MRG 1. I have other resource allocated to MRG 2. If I assign a MRGL that includes MRG 1, but not MRG 2, can the device access the resources in MRG 2? I believe the answer is no, but I just want a confirmation.

Any additional links on MRG's other than those in the System Guide and Admin guide would also be appreciated.

Thanks.....

2 Replies 2

marinaibm
Level 4
Level 4

As far as i know the software conference bridge will be used first. When devices don't belong to a MRG they can use ALL resources in the default group, when assigned to a special MRG only the resources allocated to this group + resorces of the default group when those ones are exhausted.

the best link for you is ipt design guide , chapter 5

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns110/ns163/ns165/ns268/networking_solutions_design_guidances_list.html

tlomonaco
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the reference. If ahyone is still reading this thread, I have some further information. In reading through the IPT Design Guide, I found the following information:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cisco IP Telephony Solution Reference Network Design Guide

Page 5-23

If all resources in the MRGL are exhausted, Cisco CallManager looks for media resources in the default, or , MRG.

Page 6-34

By default all media resources are placed in a default group that is used by any devices that do not have a media resource group list (MRGL) set. Media resources placed into a media resource group (MRG) are removed from the default group and then need to be placed into an MRGL before a device may utilize them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds to me from this information, that if a resource is not assigned to any MRG, that it will be available to all MRGL's. My reasoning for believing this is that from the above, all media resources are placed in the default group on creation, and the default group is searched once all MRG's are exhausted. If there are resources not assigned to any MRG, they will be in the default MRG, which will still be available to devices assigned to a MRGL, once all MRG's have been exhausted in the MRGL. If anyone has information to support or refute this PLEASE let me know. I can't seem to get a definate answer on how this works. Not much info out there on this "default" MRG.

Thanks in advance....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: