Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Message Notification

I have a customer who is looking to buy a cisco phone system. He is a principal at a small school of about 40 students and was inquiring about the possibility of a phone system that could send some pre-recorded message like "school is out due to snow" to pre-determined student home phone numbers. Can the Unity system do anything like this.<br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Message Notification

Well, the short story is Unity isn’t really setup to do broadcast messages along these lines where we call someone and start barking out a prerecorded message.

However, Unity does have a message delivery capability for subscribers that can be configured to dial out when subscribers get a specific type/severity message. The user is asked to identify themselves and then they get their messages as they would if they called in to check them over the phone. In the scenario you’re talking about here you could setup the 40 folks as subscribers and configure them such that they had message delivery configured to dial their home phone numbers when any voice mail arrive (or any urgent voice mail perhaps). Add them to a distribution list and you can leave that group a message which will start calling them at home.

You have extensive control over when we dial them, how often, where, when we give up etc… on a per user basis. However, the conversation is tailored for subscribers. It doesn’t just start playing the message when you answer the phone, it asks you to enter your subscriber ID and password (if a password is set… this is not necessary). Then they get “you have 1 new message… to hear new messages press 1, to send a message, press 2…” just as you would if you called in to check messages as a subscriber over the phone.

I’m guessing he probably wants it to start speaking when someone picks up the phone with something like “this is XYZ elementary school, due to heavy snows last night classes are canceled for today…” or something like that.

You could spin this as a good thing, however, if it was something you wanted to make sure the parents got (i.e. only they know their ID/password combo so students couldn’t listen to it or something). You can make the subscriber ID the persons’ home phone number and not set a password to make this as easy as possible but I’m still not sure it’s going to be what they’re looking for.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies