Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message notifications

I have a few questions on message notification.<br><br>1. Is there any way to configure the times when message notification will occur via the phone interface.<br>2. Is there any way to configure the types of message notifications (urgent only) via the phone interface?<br>3. I have a mailbox setup for our after hours technical support. This service operates by pager only and different technicians are responsible for it each week. Within Exhange I have given all my technicians rights to this mailbox. In addition they all know the unity password for it. As an administrator I can configure the message notification for this mailbox via the SA. Each user can configure their own notifications via the AA. How can the technicians configure the message notification for this "shared" mailbox?<br>4. Is there any way to preprogrm the trunk access code? Making each user do this for every notification device they have will certainly be more prone to mistakes than having the administrator set it once for all notification devices.<br>5. In the SA or AA why do I receive an error message when deleting the phone number for a notificated device even if it is disabled. (I like to keep it clean) Is there a way to do this?<br>6. As an administrator is there any way to disallow certain users from changing their notification settings?<br><br>

4 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Message notifications

No, there’s no way to get at your delivery schedule and trigger options from the phone interface. You can only enable/disable the “basic 4” devices and change the target number in the case of a phone/pager delivery device. The rest of the configuration for the notification devices has to go through the AA or the SA. The conversation for schedules was a nightmare (yes, we did have a prototype of this at one point). In general wandering through a conversation to get at all the notification settings using prompts and key input was very nasty stuff for both design and from the end user’s perspective. The idea was everyone would have AA access to get at these items.

Doing different triggers for the shared mailbox is tricky… How many techs are we talking about? Why can’t you have the message recipient for this box be a distribution list that hits them all and the one(s) on duty have their pagers activated for their box and the others don’t? Not ideal but seems workable…

No, there’s no system wide trunk access code. Larger sites can (and do) use different trunk access codes for different things and international installations are remarkably ugly in this regard (the whole number formatting question in general is ugly) so we erred on the side of caution. With multiple switch support it gets weirder (and as we add more switches to that config moving forward it’ll get weirder still).

#5 is a minor bug that is a known issue… disabling the device works here so the need to fix it (as opposed to other more pressing bugs) is pretty low. Other than aestetics, is there a particular reason this field needs to be blanked out?

No, you can’t restrict users from changing their notification settings if they have AA access. If they don’t have AA access then of course you’re fine since they can’t do much without AA in this regard.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Figured as much.

Were talking about 8-10 techs. All of them MUST have pager notifications turned on for urgent messages (hence my question about disallowing users from changing this). I'd rather do a distribution list but then the message goes to all techs. This would create two problems: 1. All techs would get paged. 2. On Monday morning all techs would have every voice mail received over the weekend in their inbox - they wouldn't know which ones were handled by someone else or not. This also gets more complicated because we must have two levels of message notification escalation. If the tech on duty does not respond in 1/2 hour a supervisor is paged. If the call is still not picked up after 1 hour the division head is paged (yeah - 3 pagers, still havn't figured this out 100% yet). This is why I went with a completely separate mailbox. I couldn't see a good way to do it otherwise. Any ideas?

OK

No biggie, just don't like seeing data there if it's disabled.

Too bad.

Anonymous
N/A

Unfortunately you're only option here is to adjust that mailbox to page the right person over the weekend... doing the escallation part is no problem but having it kick to the right tech automatically is not going to be possible.

What it sounds like you need is a proper dispatch group like we had back in Repartee. Messages left in a dispatch group notify all folks associated with that group but the first person to call in and actually "touch" the message then had it moved to their box (i.e. a "tag you're it" model).

Doing that in Exchange is a tall order, however. Moving forward past 3.0 we can revisit this now that we'll have SQL tables to work with to do some of this for us. That'd be a good feature request to revisit.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Maybe you told me no, but I didn't hear it.

Is there a way for a user (support technician) who has rights to a mailbox other than this own (the after hours support box) to access the AA for that mailbox. Possibly by passing parameters in the URL?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content