Recently I implemented a 3.0(1) system integrated over IP and everything was going well until we started moving the bulk of the subscribers (150) onto the system.<br><br>We started receiving a large number of complaints regarding choppy, garbled messages being left, particulary from outside callers. By tweaking gain settings on the PSTN gateway and the Unity server itself we were able to reduce the occurence of these, but not eliminate them. Cisco TAC eventually had me use the setrecordformat utility to change from the default ulaw 8 kHz sampling to ulaw 11 kHz. This cleared up the problem completely.<br><br>I'm not entirely clear on why, and the engineer I was working with at TAC couldn't explain it well either.<br><br>To further complicate matters, we are also trying to integrate Cisco Personal Assistant into this setup, but PA's codec for voicemail playback expects the 8 kHz rate.<br><br>Does anyone have suggestions for tackling this? Has anyone seen this before? I recently tried switching back to 8 kHz but the problem swiftly returned. It may just be me, but it seems many (not all) instances of extremely garbled audio come from cell callers and also seem to occur when more than 4 or 5 ports are simultaneously in use, if those trends mean anything at all.<br><br>Currently using the 3.0(3) TSP, but the problem seemed the same with 3.0(1)<br><br>
I would say it was 50/50 reproducible if we could load the system up with more than 5 or 6 ports in use. In terms of the garble type, it is not like the clipping you experience with too much gain. More like an underwaterish, or digital cell phone quality.
One other thing I forgot to mention running at 8 kHz, the system will occasionally cut off callers in the middle of leaving a message, and the resulting message is empty or nothing is recorded at all. This is why we initially focused on a possible audio level issue, which we may still need to look at. Planning on re-opening the TAC case first thing this Monday.
We've not had this problem on other similar installations, I was thinking about this over Thanksgiving, one difference at this location we are using the newish Cisco 4000 AGM as the PSTN gateway..
We had this exact same problem. All of the sudden users started getting choppy voice mails. We went through a week of fiddling with gains our VoIP Gateways, Record and Playback levels on Unity, all to no avail. Finally, we noticed that we only had 256M of ram on the box and that the total committ charge was 372M, meaing alot of stuff was cached to the hard drive. A resource issue was definitely part of the problem and after we upgraded the box to 1Gig of Ram, the problem went away. Then about 4 weeks later, during which no config changes had been made, the choppy voice mails started up again. I changed the SetRecordFormat to 11.025kHz, 8 bit mono, 10kb/sec and rebooted Unity. We put the word out to the users and are awaiting feedback on whether the problem is solved.
looks like this thread is describing my currnet issue that TAC is still working on. We made lots of changes (AGCGainThreashold=5 (instead of 40), AGCSamplesize= 8000 (instead of 20,000), AGCtargetDB=-26(default),G729 disable, Recordgain and playback parameter, TSP upgrade to 6.0.1, Gateway module (4000 AGM blade) with output attemuation =3, etc. Looks like the problem is moving from one place to other place and we are playing game of catching it up. Cellular phone and unity lady voice and our auto attendent voice - You can pickup any two good ones out of three. We kept "Set Vpolume" to default 26db, which is same default for AGC. We came across another document on Cisco which is recommending the AGC level to -12 to -18db. Which setting for AGC is correct ?
Start with the new section in our docs on dealing with volume issues. The distortion you're experiencing may not have anything to do with Unity but it's good to start with these steps for solving the problem first and then go from there. This doc talks about adjusting AGC, relevling greetings/voice names, adjusting the WAV gain values etc... it's a good thing to do just in general:
Are you getting this error “Installer User Interface Mode Not Supported. The installer cannot run in this UI mode. To specify the interface mode, use the -i command-line option, followed by the UI mode identifier. The value UI mode identifiers...
The below trick might come handy when you have to add a new node to a cluster but you don't have or is unsure of the security password for the publisher. This procedure has been around for ages.
1) Login into the CLI of the Publisher.