Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Messages are being taken, but aren't saved

We started having a problem yesterday where Unity appears to be acting normally, but isn't saving messages. I rebooted the machine this morning, and while everything appears normal on the surface, it still isn't saving the messages. I'm getting two errors in the application event log that appear related, but neither is informative as to what is the real problem. The errors I get are:<br><br>Event Type: Error<br>Event Source: AvUMR_MC<br>Event Category: UMR Thread Error <br>Event ID: 101<br>Date: 1/9/2002<br>Time: 10:24:50 AM<br>User: N/A<br>Computer: UNITY-UM<br>Description:<br>IAvDohMessage::Submit() returned [0x80070057] on line 350 of file h:\CommSvr\Sources\UnityUMR\AvUMRSyncSvr\UMRThread.cpp <br><br><br>and<br><br>Event Type: Error<br>Event Source: AvUMR_MC<br>Event Category: UMR Thread Error <br>Event ID: 101<br>Date: 1/9/2002<br>Time: 10:24:50 AM<br>User: N/A<br>Computer: UNITY-UM<br>Description:<br>SendUMRMessages() returned [0x80070057] on line 60 of file h:\CommSvr\Sources\UnityUMR\AvUMRSyncSvr\UMRThread.cpp <br><br>I'm also seeing this one, but I'm not sure if it is related, or simply a downstream effect:<br><br>Event Type: Error<br>Event Source: AvNotifier_MC<br>Event Category: Run <br>Event ID: 1048<br>Date: 1/9/2002<br>Time: 10:26:01 AM<br>User: N/A<br>Computer: UNITY-UM<br>Description:<br>Mailbox logon failed for user cn=ROBINH,cn=RECIPIENTS,cn=CVESLC,o=CACHE VALLEY ELECTRIC. <br><br>We are baffled. This was working correctly and then just started having problems. <br><br>

2 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Messages are being taken, but aren't saved

First, I'm assuming you've got a TAC case for this. Ideally we'd need to get remote access to your box and see what's going on.

next, be aware these messages are NOT lost! You'll find them under commserver\UnityMTA directory. They will be in there as pairs of .WAV and .TXT files. It appears to be a log jam getting the messages into Exchange for some reason.

Those errors essentially are the DOH saying they're getting an invalid value on a message submit event. What happens is for outside callers leaving messages, it's handed to the UMR which then talks to the DOH to deliver the message to the "Bridgehead" Exchange server (i.e. the guy you picked in step 2 setup). It could be that one of the messages in the UMR's queue is causing a problem and it's jamming up the whole process. If we can't get direct access to your system, I'd like you to do this:

1. Go to your Commserver\UnityMTA directory and get the oldest 6 or 8 files in there, zip them up and send them to me.

2. Turn on traces for alCommon and Malex (for both turn on #10). This is done in the SA under the tools link at the bottom. Repro the problem and then get us the logs from the commserver\logs directory. Basically snag the most recent several DIAGxxx.log files

3. email it to me at lindborg@cisco.com

4. if you have a TAC case open, let me know who you're working with so I can keep them in the loop.




Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

Re: Messages are being taken, but aren't saved

just to follow up on this for folks following along at home… this turned out to be a rather odd piece of corruption in ActiveDirectory. One particular account was giving us trouble sending voice mail messages to and the UMR was basically “stuck” here and all other message were piling up behind it. The Exchange interface was basically returning “account doesn’t exist” when we attempted to send a mail to this person even though you could see them in the directory OK. All the stuff in the DOH/SQL looked fine.

As it turns out the site was having other trouble with this particular account with outlook login issues and the like. After poking around in there we discovered the account actually had a bad directory string. A proper directory string looks like this:

cn=JEFFL,cn=RECIPIENTS,ou=Seattle,o=AnswerMonkey Corp

this user’s reference looked like this:

cn=JEFFL,cn=RECIPIENTS,cn=Seattle,o=AnswerMonkey Corp

small but subtle difference… there’s no “ou” reference in the bad one, instead it to “seattle” as a subcontainer to the Recipients container. As such it was causing lots of bad mojo. There’s no easy/safe way to change this in the directory so the site ended up blowing the account away and recreating it in AD again.

I have no idea how that AD reference would have been created that way or how it would have been changed (tough to do even if you were trying). Very odd… but at least we figured it out.


Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

104
Views
0
Helpful
2
Replies
CreatePlease to create content