Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MGCP CAC

Newbie question – Running Cisco CallManager at our corporate HQ… and we are going to be bringing on our first remote location via a new MPLS network (6 Mbps of bandwidth). The remote location will sport a 3845. The 3845 at the remote site will terminate two PRI circuits to support local calls, but HQ to Remote calls will happen over the MPLS network.

I’d like to have the remote 3845 gateway setup for MGCP (its easier to setup than H.323, and we can roll out a minimum SRST configuration immediately and improve that configuration over time).

Question: What kind of CAC should be used? I’m looking at a Gatekeeper as we’ll add more sites to our MPLS network in the near future and location based CAC doesn’t do well with MPLS networks (since its ONE connection from HQ to all remotes). BUT everything I read about Gatekeeper CAC is in reference to H.323 gateways. Do Gatekeepers work with MGCP gateways? I’m assuming that CAC is required for MGCP gateways. Is this a bad assumption?

3 REPLIES
Blue

Re: MGCP CAC

a gatekeeper is an H.323 entity.

this is required to provide CAC. since the trunks are H.225, an H.323 device (gatekeeper) is used when needing to provide CAC across them.

see this link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk1077/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080117768.shtml

GK do not currently work with MGCP GW. for one site to install a GK seems a bit much. I suggest you configure your GW with H323 if you plan to use a GK.

Bronze

With MGCP you can use Locations and Regions for CAC.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content