Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Midsized office FXO gateways

We have implemented CCM 3.3.3 in our main office, and are now beginning to see value in rolling the system out to our 11 satellite offices nationwide, using our existing frame relay WAN, and each office's local lines. Each office today has a 2600 series router, which we will upgrade to XM series routers as we go forward.

Our problem is this- while some offices are large enough to support PRI, and others just need 4 ports of FXO to connect the local lines, we have some offices that fall 'in the middle', needing 10 local lines or so. Since the VG-200 is no longer for sale, and these offices don't seem to merit a 3725 or 3640 series router for a gateway, we're stuck- the max we can get into a 2600 router is 8 ports of FXO. A second 2600 seems like an extravagance as well- even the 1760 is a pricey alternative.

I'm sure we're not alone in this predicament- how have others handled it? Third party FXO gateways? Ebay for secondhand VG-200's? I've heard rumors of a load for an ATA to allow it to run 'backwards' (as an FXO), but I've never heard of one successfully implemented, and it's not a Cisco load, that's for certain.

Any proposals considered

3 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Midsized office FXO gateways

I would suggest looking into getting a fractional pri (12 Channels). You would have to do some carrier shopping but I am willing to bet you could find an offering in your area. With that scenario a 2621XM or 1760-V w/PVDM-16 would get the job done.

Cisco has a four port fxo vic, VIC2-4FXO. You can configure a 1760 with two 4 ports VICs and a two port VIC, just make sure you size the DSPs accordingly. That being said, I agree that when you get up to 10 lines a frac. PRI may be a better option. A fractional PRI will get you the supplementary services you can't get with fxo as well.

Silver

There is also a new voice card that will take two 4 port FXO cards, or a mixture of digital and analogue voice cards. This is the the NM-HD-1V/2V/2VE

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/ps282/prodlit/guido_ds.htm

This allows you to start with analogue cards and move the digital interfaces without ditching all the modules.

You could also use a NM-HDA , which could give you 8 FXO and 4 FXS as well.

There is no way of converting an ATA to FXO using a 3rd party software load. The hardware just can't do it. There are external convertors that will change the FXS side port to FXO terminating loop start, but just remember if you use something like this you get all the flexibility features you paid for...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content