Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Migrate Exchange Off Box

I currently have a single Unity server with AD and E2k on the box. There is no other current Win2k or Exchange Environment in place. In order to move to a failover Unity scenario, we are going to add an Exchange Server and a couple of domain controllers. My question is, when I move the mailboxes off of the Unity server to the new Exchange server, will Unity need to be reconfigured? How will it know where the mailboxes are? Also, will I need to remove Exchange from the Unity server, and if so can that be done safely? What would you recomend as the best coursr of action in this case?<br><br>

3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Migrate Exchange Off Box

if it were me, I'd follow these steps...

1. Make a backup of your system with DiRT. Just in case.

2. Install a 2nd Exchange server (and a 3rd or however many you're looking to get into this network). Get your DCs done the way you want in the process.

3. Move the users in Exchange on the Unity box to one or more of the Exchange servers you installed in step 2. With Ex2K this is no sweat, Unity can "follow" the box to their new location since AD will tell us where it is when we ask the next time they log in over the phone.

4. Uninstall the Unity configuration setup and reinstall it. This time pick an off box Exchange server installed above.

5. Once that's all happy, uninstall Exchange off the local box. You have to be careful to keep the administration console on the Unity server (i.e. you may need to reinstall this after removing Exchange... I've never tried this myself so I'm unsure how smart the uninstall is about this).

If step 5 completely tanks your box for whatever reason, you can install fresh, select the off box Exchange server during part 2 install and run the DiRT restore. It'll bind to all your users you moved in step 3 no problem.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Can the mailboxes be moved live, as in without downtime to Unity?

Anonymous
N/A

With Exchange 2000 yes, you can just move them while Unity is up, no problem. With Exchange 55 you have to first log the Unity notifier out of the mailboxes using Bulk Logout before moving them to prevent any problems.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content