Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started.

Migrate Subscriber Data Tool

Environment: Unity 3.1, Exchange 2k as the message store

Problem: We have some users who's mailboxes were created and that have messages in them and we want to rename their accounts. In the past because there was no way to change exchange alias in unity, we would create the new account, delete the unity account and re-import the user. Thus they had lost all their messages and had to completely enroll in their mailboxes again.

I read about the migrate subscriber data tool and loaded it, gave it what I think are all the proper permissions (I first got an error when starting it about not having "send as and receive as" permissions with the account I was logged on with, but fixed that. I now no longer get errors when starting.

I took an existing account (left side of screen) and created an account with what we wanted it correctly named as (it showed on the right side of screen) and did the migrate data. It got nearly through and gave an error about not being able to transfer the messages from old account to new. I continued passed it and it seems as though everything worked, except indeed none of the messages (they were all saved messages) moved to the new alias. Other than that it worked great. The user did not have to re-enroll and their unity mailbox remained in-tact.

My question is, is this tool designed to do as I am speaking of, or was it for people who strictly had unity mail only store (messages stored on unity server rather than exchange environment) type of migration...

I also read something about only messages in the in-box will be transferred... We are not fully using any client side (outlook) software yet so Im not sure how this works... are saved messages in unity in the in-box, or do they go to some other folder and thats why they were not transferred over?

Sorry for length, but wanted to be descriptive. Any help is appreciated.

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Migrate Subscriber Data Tool

Yes, you should be able to do what you describe here so long as the account your logged in as has SA/RA rights on the mailstores on both servers in question - all the tool is doing, however, is using ExMerge to move messages over - you can try running ExMerge manually on your own to accomplish the same thing (or see what error it gives you - most often it's a SA/RA rights issue on one of the mailstores). You can also use Outlook to dump the inbox to a PST file and then slup it into the other mailbox (this is, in fact, all ExMerge is doing - it just does it in bulk).

Saved and unread messages are all stored in the inbox - the fact that these are read messages isn't the source of the problem - it sounds like ExMerge is coughing up a hair ball on one side or the other of the move message request.

Views
Helpful
Replies