Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Migrating ICS Unity 3.1 to MCS Unity 4.0

Hi,

I currently run Unity 3.1 on an ICS and I have a new MCS that I built Unity 4.0 on. I am unified, so moving the message store is not a problem.

DiRT and the export/import seem to be causing a problem and from reviewing the docs it appears the only way to do this is either upgrade my ICS to 4.0 and DiRT the system or rebuild the MCS as 3.1 and DiRT and upgrade.

Are those really my only 2 choices (aside from the manual process of recreating all the accounts)?

--Jon

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Migrating ICS Unity 3.1 to MCS Unity 4.0

Not sure what you mean by DiRT is "causing a problem"... it's designed and implemented (and documented clearly) such that you must backup and restore to the same version. You can't backup a 3.1 system and restore it to a 4.0 system. I know that sounds very very handy to you but it sends me to the depths of hell screaming and kicking to think of all the nightmarish code that would require - doing a restore AND a cross version migration in one shot is beyond merely ugly.

So if you want to do such a migration you'll either have to upgrade your ICS system to 4.0 and do the backup there or you'll have to install 3.1 on the MCS, do the backup and restore and then do the upgrade.

yeah... that's what I was afraid of... that's pretty ugly. It's interesting that you can run the DBExport on a 2.4 system and Import to 4.0, but from 3.1 to 4.0 you can't.

Thanks for the quick response.

Cisco Employee

yes, I wrote both those tools myself. I'm well aware of how "interesting" that is.

The FullDBImport/Export is a "brick level" back up and restore (i.e. each column of data is backed up on it's own and restored manually to the appropriate column in the target database) and you'll notice there's large amounts of information left behind as a result - it's also much, much slower taking many hours to import large systems - it was bug riddled (to the tune of around 200 field found bugs in 3 years - that's high) - and I had to touch it every single time a Unity release was made - I probably logged a couple thousand man-hours keeping that thing flying before finally cutting it off at 4.0(2).

Short story - I'm never doing that again! It was a nightmare to maintain at best and was an order of magnitude more code required. Not to mention it wasn't nearly as functional as DiRT which can be used to migrate back ends/servers/domains/etc... and also gets ALL data nicely. Comparing the two tools as equals is a tad unrealistic.

Views
Helpful
Replies