cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixed Conferencing Resource Utilization

bbentley05
Level 1
Level 1

If you have UCM software conferencing resources and IOS hardware conferencing resources in the same media resource group (MRG), which one will be utilized first? Will they be used in the order that they are listed in the MRG?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Brad,

You are right in that having two seperate MRG's in an MRGL will allow you to determine which resource is selected first. Because the MRG's in a MRGL are in a prioritized order, you may put the MRGs with the software conference bridges above the MRG's with the hardware conference bridges to achieve your stated goal.

From a best practice standpoint however, it is generally accepted that where hardware resources are available, use those first before utilizing the software resources that are native to the CallManager. The argument being that using software resources takes away cpu cycles from other functions such as call processing. In the same vein, given the central role that the publisher plays in the cluster, if possible, avoid stressing it beyond its 'normal' functions.

Does this answer your question?

Regards,

Michael.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Michael Owuor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brad,

If there are multiple like devices in a Media Resource Group, they are allocated in a round-robin fashion. So in your case if you have 2 conference bridges in a MRG, the first conference will be allocated on first bridge and the second conference call will be allocated on the second conference bridge. The determination of which one is allocated for the first conference is made based on their order in the configuration database.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael.

Thanks for the response Michael.

Is it possible to control this behavior by breaking the hardware and software conferencing resources into 2 separate MRGs in a MRGL? Our attempted goal here is to allow conferences for 12 people. Understanding that when hardware conf. resources are used it is limited to 8. Therefore, we're trying to find a way to force the election of the software resources to be utilized first. Can this be achieved?

Furthermore, we have a 3 node UCM cluster. Should we use conferencing resources from Publisher as well or is that not best practice?

Thanks for your expertise,

Brad

Hi Brad,

You are right in that having two seperate MRG's in an MRGL will allow you to determine which resource is selected first. Because the MRG's in a MRGL are in a prioritized order, you may put the MRGs with the software conference bridges above the MRG's with the hardware conference bridges to achieve your stated goal.

From a best practice standpoint however, it is generally accepted that where hardware resources are available, use those first before utilizing the software resources that are native to the CallManager. The argument being that using software resources takes away cpu cycles from other functions such as call processing. In the same vein, given the central role that the publisher plays in the cluster, if possible, avoid stressing it beyond its 'normal' functions.

Does this answer your question?

Regards,

Michael.

That answers my questions. Thanks again for your insight on this.

Regards,

Brad

Hi Michael,

I also seek your help on similar requirements. I've a CCM-Pub/Sub in one country and PGTN GW on different country. G.729 on WAN and G.711 between IP Phones. Conference bridge configured on CCM and IOS GW.

I want to use CCM software conference bridge when IP Phone takes another IP Phone into conference, but IOS conference bridge when same IP Phone user takes any PSTN party into conference.

Can I achieve this?

Thanks,

inner_silence