cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixed License?

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have a customer who wants to have a Unity 2.46 system with both UM and VM users on it. They can't afford to give all users UM but do want to give them VM.<br><br>Looking through the license options in the Cisco price list I can't see any mixed UM and VM licenses.<br><br>Am I right to think that you can't actually run both UM and VM on the same system, and that there is no license for this?<br><br>If my assumption is correct, are there any serious issues with buying two systems and running them both to the same Call Manager? How would you handle having two systems register with CM?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Tim<br><br>Solution Architect<br>MCSE Unity SE<br>Compaq Global Services

6 Replies 6

Not applicable

You could either install two Unity systems, or use one Unified Messaging server with enough user licenses and create 2 different classes of service, one for Unified subscribers and 1 for voicemail only subscribers -- you don't have to give everyone Unified Messaging with a UM server.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Not applicable

Hi Scott, I guess this question is about licenses as much as anything. I understand that I could run both UM and VM users on a single system, the question is can I get a license for - say - 200 users split 100 user VM and 100 user UM?

I don't want to have to buy all UM licenses and only give users VM capability - it would be a waste of the customers money.

So can I have both UM and VM licenses on the same Unity system?

Thanks

Tim

Solution Architect
MCSE Unity SE
Compaq Global Services

Not applicable

I would say that's a question you'll want to work out with your account team. I think you make a valid point, so it's a matter of finding out if there's a sales solution for you.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Not applicable

Mixed licensing is not offered at this time. The only options are all VM or all UM.

Jami Stewart
Cisco Systems

I have unity 3.1 installed. I have my COS configured so no licenses are alloted for any thing. When I go to use outlook viewmail it works just fine. I don't understand why I have a UM license if I can check my voicemail from outlook without using a visual messaging user licence. Does any one know a good link to some info on the unified portion of unity. I have yet to find any info.

You can run VMO, but you're not licensed for it (i.e. just like you can install a single copy of Word all over the place... doesn't mean it's legal).

the UM license also gets you text to speech capabilities to get at your email and the ability to fax email and attachments from over the phone. These are strictly enforced since we pay a per session license to the TTS vendors for their engines we distribute.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: