Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Modifying the behavior of what Unity considers a "Trivial" Password

I was working with a consultant the other day who brought up something the competition does, and I am now plagued with curiousity on whether or not I can do this on Unity. There's a $5 bet on the line with a collegue, so I'm hoping lindborg, kechambe, or whoever can set us straight:

I want to modify the behavior of what Unity considers to be a "Trivial" password. To my knowledge, there is nothing documented behind "check the box" or "don't check the box" in Account Policies. However, say I would like to add a few or delete a few strings -- say I want to mark the numeric portion of address of the company as Trivial. Is there a magic flat file somewhere (as there often is with Unity) that would allow me to do this? I know the behavior of "Trivial Passwords" is sort of dynamic, banning the extension and whatnot, so I'm guessing there are some magic placeholders ("X", "Z") that are in there somewhere.

I reiterate I don't have a direct need to do this, it's more curiousity at this point and the knowledge should I ever have a customer who requests this in the future.

Insight appreciated. Thanks.

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Modifying the behavior of what Unity considers a "Trivial" P

The trivial password stuff is not stored in an editable flat file or the like, at least not the last time I fiddled with it (I'll check to be sure it hasn't changed since then). It's stored in a .DLL that is called to validate passwords - some partners had provided their own DLLs that did different/more strict password checks for their installs in the past (way back when).

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

The trivial password stuff is not stored in an editable flat file or the like, at least not the last time I fiddled with it (I'll check to be sure it hasn't changed since then). It's stored in a .DLL that is called to validate passwords - some partners had provided their own DLLs that did different/more strict password checks for their installs in the past (way back when).

Bummer; I lost $5.

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.