cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MOH Issues with Fixed audio source using XM radio

TODD BERGMAN
Level 1
Level 1

CCM 4.1.3sr1, MCS7815, Sound Blaster 16 PCI, using line input with XM satelite radio feed.

Created audio source fixed Name of device in windows control panel is "SB PCI".

Restarted translator and streaming media services no luck. No audio when testing on hold.

Anyone any ideas of what the issue might be? Driver maybe???

8 Replies 8

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Are you able to connect a speaker to the card and hear the music ?

PS: Have you checked if there are any broadcast right issues with re-using XM radio on MOH.?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Yes we have connected a speaker and were able to hear music. Is it just as simple of setup as I have discussed above? Should it just work?

I am fully aware of broadcast rights, however I leave this to the customer as they must have checked into it. They were using it on their own phone system. I am just the engineer told to make it work.

A few things to verify from the admin guide:

Enter the name for the audio device interface on a PC that is used to play the fixed audio source.

Note The name must match exactly the device name of the device that is already installed. To find the fixed audio source device, go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Multimedia. Click the Audio tab and use the value that is found in the Sound Recording Preferred Device setting. Your entry must match this value exactly (spaces and upper/lowercase letters).

Note Ensure that the music on hold server has exactly this name in the Fixed Audio Source Device field. Ensure that the MOH server, which has this field configured, is physically located on the same PC as the fixed audio source device.

Note If you are attaching the input device to the Line In connector on your sound card, click the Volume button below the Sound Recording Preferred Device setting and select Line In.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803f3a9f.html#wp1028403

I suppose you should verify that this new source is multicasting if the phones are set up for multicast MRGL, or they won't hear anything, would get tone on hold. If it is multicast, make sure hop count is enough, maybe check an existing audio source that works to your test phone.

Mary Beth

hello Mary,

jst wanted to know how to have the same setup for continous background music instead of jst MOH.

This is a very common feature in most Analog PBX systems to attach a external music system for playing background music through the phones.

Thanks

Brgds

renzil

Thanks for your response,

Yes I followed these setup steps from the CM admin guide. I still get dead air.

Anything else you can think of?

Someone else is going to have to chime in on the background music issue, I think this is just one of those things that are different between traditional telephony systems and CM - but maybe someone else has found a way to do this, or maybe there is a third party app to handle it.

For getting this one to work, I had saved a conversation from April where someone was not getting audio from their USB source, they removed the MoH servers and readded them and they started working. We have seen some odd behaviour when we tried to do things from terminal svc conn instead of on console or VNC. There was not much specific info about supported hardware, either, at least not easy to find, but the SRND says the sound card that comes in the 7815 us a supported source - I assume that is what you are using. If redoing the MoH servers does not do it, you might have to fall back to step 1 - have 2 test phones, use a regular moh file, put each on hold and check results. Switch to fixed source, do the same thing, check results, also you can check the MoH stats on perf mon, see what the server thinks is going on.

Mary Beth

Also, you might have to crank up the volume on your source, it might be that it is playing but you just can't hear it on the phones. If you have to fall back to basics, give a detailed description of what all is involved here - servers, phones, gateways, etc.

Mary Beth

Finally ; ) here is a link to instructions to verify operations - what to look for in perf mon, how to check the device driver states, etc:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/4_1/sys_ad/4_1_3/ccmfeat/fsmoh.htm#wp1027367

Mary Beth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: