cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MOH - Seperate MOH Server

tim.medley
Level 2
Level 2

I read somewhere in the CCM 3.1 documentation about how if I use a dedicated MCS as a MOH Server I can have up to 500 simultaneous streams.

What is the procedure for creating a dedicated MOH server? Do I install CCM 3.1 on a free MCS-7835, and only configure the MOH? Does it need to be a Subscriber?

I want to experiemnt with dedicated MOH Servers in my CCM Clusters for both scalability and redundancy.

Tim Medley

Network Architect

VoIP Group

iReadyWorld

3 Replies 3

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

During the installation of CallManager, you are presented choices as to which components to install. Some of them are mandatory and most are optional. Only install the IP Voice Media Streamer and no other optional components, such as Web Components, CallManager, TFTP, CMI, etc.

The dedicated MOH server does not have to be a subscriber, but it would make sense as a subscriber, because as a publisher it would be doing a lot of database work.

Dave,

Thanks for the great information. Is there anyway I could make a dedicated MOH neither a publisher or subscriber? Basically just a standalone server, since I'm not installing the Call manager part during install.

I'm thinking about the total number of subscribers in my cluster. Currently, I have a publisher, a TFTP server, and 3 subscribers. A couple of dedicated MOH servers as subscribers would put me at 5 subscribers, 7 total servers.

Tim Medley

Network Architect

VoIP Group

iReadyWorld

You have to install the database component if you want the IP Voice Media Streamer to work. You don't have to install the CallManager component since that is optional, so it won't be able to process calls. But if the database components are installed then it is a subscriber.

You are allowed to go up to 8 servers in the following configuration:

1 publisher

1 TFTP

6 subscribers running CM (3 primary, 3 backup)

So taking one of those subscribers and using it for MOH only with no CallManager is certainly within those boundaries.

It may even be possible to install a subscriber with no CallManager for this purpose and exceed the 8 server limit. But this has not yet been qualified or documented so please don't take that to the bank yet. If I find anything further about it I will let you know, but it sounds like you are still well within your limits.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: