cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

MOH

Hello guys,

Our Music On Hold files sound great from within the company, but very bad when somebody calls from outside. The MOH server is our Publisher (version 4.1). Could you please help?

Thanks,

Bahman

7 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Re: MOH

Hi

Normally when MOH sounds bad it's because a compressed codec is in use - they're designed for voice and don't work well for music...

If you aren't intentionally using G729, check when a call is in progres and MOH is playing what codec is in use on the gateway...

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Community Member

Thank you for responding. As I know we're using G711. How can I verify what codec is in use in the GW? Could you please provide the command? The GW is a 3825 Cisco router.

Thanks,

BT

Hall of Fame Super Silver

If you do "sh voice call summary" on the GW that will display the codec, also you can use "sh call voice active" will give you more details.

Another way to check is to see what codec is specified in CCM between the MOH Server and GW Region.

Chris

Community Member

The MOH server is our Publisher. I am not able to find this info from CCM. Could you please tell me how can I verify the Codec in use btw MOH server and GW?

Thanks,

Bahman

Community Member

I see an active call en hold is using G729. Where do I have to change it to G711?

Thanks,

BT

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Assuming you are using MGCP to control your Gateways.

First go to Service > Media Resource > Music On Hold Server, and note the Device Pool assigned to it. The go to your Gateway and note the Device Pool of the GW. Next locale the Device pools under System -> Device Pool, note the Regions assigned to them, lastly go to System->Regions, and make sure that the codec used between these regions is g.711. Somthing to keep in mind however is wheather these Regions are referenced by another devices ie Phones which by changing the codec might change the codec used in your environment. As best practice MOH server should be in its own Device Pool/Region, also are the GWs located at remote sites, and thus the MOH is streaming via WAN? If yes you have to be aware of the significantly more bandwidth consumption by g711 vs g729.

Reference these docs for more details:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/4_1/sys_ad/4_1_3/ccmfeat/fsmoh.htm#wp1029081

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/4_1/sys_ad/4_1_3/ccmcfg/index.htm

If you are using H.323 to control the GW, the same logic applies as above, but in addition you have to make sure that the dial-peers on the GW are configured for g.711 via either static assignment or voice-class.

HTH,

Chris

Community Member

Thanks Chris,

We have a centralized topology in Boston and two other regions one in London(UK) and the other one in Menlo Park (CA). The codec used in Boston is G711 and the one used in London and CA is G729. The poor quality is in London and Menlo Park, do you think, I can modify the Codec for those two regions. What else can I do to improve the qulity of the sound other than changing the Codec from G729 to G711?

Thanks,

Bahman

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content