cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moved to new Exchange 2000 hardware / server names kills Unity 4.01

lundjc
Level 1
Level 1

We have a small pilot of Unity 4.01Voicemail users who are without voicemail today because we moved out Exchange 2000 mailboxes to new hardware / new server names. What is the procedure to get Unity to talk to the new exchange hardware?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There’s more that Unity’s interested in here than just the subscriber information. It’s configured to treat your EX1 server as its “partner” which means it’ll ping it to check for the exchange services being up and it’ll also route all unidentified caller messages through the Unity Messaging System account home on that box (which we create during setup).

To remove that server you’ll need to point Unity to a new “partner” server. Do this by uninstalling the

“Cisco Unity Message Store Configuration Wizard” from the Add/Remove programs applet and then re run the Message Store Configuration Wizard by executing \commserver\configurationSetup\setup.exe.

In the wizard you’ll select your new Exchange server to use as the partner server which will then take care of updating Unity to point to this guy as it’s primary partner and create the special “unity messaging system” account on that box (which is used to deliver unidentified caller messages).

That should do it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you simply add new Exchange servers to the network and then migrate users over to the new stores? If so, there should be no problem. When we go to open the user's mailbox it'll fail, of course, but then we'll ask AD where this person's mailbox is homed now and we'll go log into it. There will be a small delay the first time they go to log in but that's about it.

If instead you yanked the existing Exchange servers off the network and created new users on new server names then you'll need to run the config setup stuff again to get Unity connected back up.

Perhaps you can give us a little more detail on exactly what you guys did here.

We had an Exchange 2k server called EX1 and our Unity box (4.01) was called U1 and everything was running fine.

All Mailboxes were migrated over to new hardware (also running the same version of exchange as EX1)on a server called EX2. Unity continued to run fine until EX1 was taken offline. Now when we hit the messages button on our phones we are greeted with "Sorry the e-mail server is offline"

When I go look at subscriber properties it still shows users as having their mailboxes on EX1 instead of EX2.

Thanks,

John

There’s more that Unity’s interested in here than just the subscriber information. It’s configured to treat your EX1 server as its “partner” which means it’ll ping it to check for the exchange services being up and it’ll also route all unidentified caller messages through the Unity Messaging System account home on that box (which we create during setup).

To remove that server you’ll need to point Unity to a new “partner” server. Do this by uninstalling the

“Cisco Unity Message Store Configuration Wizard” from the Add/Remove programs applet and then re run the Message Store Configuration Wizard by executing \commserver\configurationSetup\setup.exe.

In the wizard you’ll select your new Exchange server to use as the partner server which will then take care of updating Unity to point to this guy as it’s primary partner and create the special “unity messaging system” account on that box (which is used to deliver unidentified caller messages).

That should do it.

I have the same problem to resolve except I have exchange 5.5. I uninstalled the Partner server using the Config Wizard and it did it and then I immediately reran it connecting it to the new Exchange server it seemed to connect fine but unity could not find the partner server. So I brought up the old exchange server and let it stay until I can figure it out. I didnt reboot the unity server after I disconnected it from the old exchange server. Is it in the registry and I need to reboot before I rerun the conf wizard?

Jeff--

I've seen systems where "Cisco Unity MEssage Store Configuration" is not listed in Add/Remove Programs. When you re-run ConfigurationSetup.exe, it skips most everything but giving passwords for service accounts.

Is there a magic switch I can use to force un-installation of this, and then re-run it to define a new Partner Message Store (short of re-installing)?

Thanks.

jcampbell
Level 1
Level 1

If you are moving from a non-clustered Exchange environment to a clustered Exchange environment you need to be careful. There are extra steps that will need to be performed in order to get your Unity system to communicate with the Exchange MTA. These involve changing login preferences for some of the Unity services. The config wizard will not necessarily set this up properly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: