cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving Around Mailbox Through Phone

wes-kelly
Level 1
Level 1

Is version 4.0 going to provide a way to better maneuver around a mailbox through the phone? For example: go back a message, move to say message 9, etc. Thanks.

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

4.0 will include the Flex Stack stuff which will allow folks to order their messages any way they want (email, voice, fax, urgent, normal, FIFO/LIFO etc...) but the navigation around those stacks will be the same... you can't jump back a message and you can't arbitrarily jump to message #9... I'd kind of wonder how you would know what message #9 is over the phone interface, that seems a little odd.

Other VM systems (Mermail, Call Pilot) have this functionality and we get asked about it all the time.

Scenario 1:

Sales rep on the road checking messages from a cell phone. Listens to new messages and gets to message 11. He then realizes that he missed something in message 8 that related to message 11. He is forced to go back to the beginning of his mailbox and #### to message 8.

Scenario 2:

User has 30 saved messages. They know in their head that they are looking for a message around message #25. They are forced to #### all the way to message 25.

It is not that I want the functionality, but we have customers that do. I like how it is, because it kind of forces the users to keep their mailboxes cleaned out.

wow... these folks must have really good memories - I can never remember the position of a message in a big stack like that.

anyway, the best thing to do is have your account tem get a PERS request in for this feature so it's on the list of stuff the product folks consider when planning the next versions of Unity.

Actually, I can see a real value to this request. Not so much the ability to move forward to message 23, but I can see wanting to go to the end of the saved messages instead of having to 'save' through the list. How about the ability to go back and play back the previous message instead of the current one? Does 4.0 have any of these features planned?

No, as I said earlier in this thread, 4.0 doesn't have a "jump back" feature added.

What about the 'jump forward' feature?

from the 2nd post in the thread:

"4.0 will include the Flex Stack stuff which will allow folks to order their messages any way they want (email, voice, fax, urgent, normal, FIFO/LIFO etc...) but the navigation around those stacks will be the same... you can't jump back a message and you can't arbitrarily jump to message #9."

so no... you can't jump forward more than a message at a time just as you can now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: