Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Moving Exchange to another machine.

We currently have Exchange running on NT4 and would like to move to Win2k. we would also like to upgrade the server at the same time. I have read Microsofts article Q155216. Are there any special considerations I need to make for Unity. <br><br>Can I simply move the Comserver directory as well?<br><br>

7 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Moving Exchange to another machine.

So you want to take your existing Unity server, move it to another platform and then upgrade it to Win2K?

There are a couple of Unity considerations for the Win2K update but primarily most of your headaches here are going to be Exchange specific. You're going to have to backup the entire server (i.e. using a decent tape backup system like BackupExcec) and restore that onto your new box... it's not a simple matter of just copying the CommServer directory over onto another box since all the information in the Exchange directory and the message store needs to go over too.

In the README.HTM file in the \Documentation directory on CD 1 of the Unity 2.4.5 CDs you'll find a section titled "Upgrading Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 with Unity installed". This covers a couple of gotchas you should avoid when upgrading a standing Unity system to Win2K.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Cisco Systems
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Actually I want to build a new machine from scratch using Windwos 2000 Advanced Server. I then want to move Exchange onto this server. It appears that Microsoft has been kind enough to document the steps necessary to do this and I feel reasonably confident that I can get this done.

My problem is that I dont know how to move Unity to the new server. I know that moving Exchange alone will bring over parts Unity too. However I'm sure that there is a good deal more that I will need to do as well. I'm trying to find out what that might be.

Anonymous
N/A

Unfortunately there's no easy way to just cart over all the Unity specific stuff to a new server. You are correct, there is lots of custom data/settings that wont get moved over and your system will not work properly. If you do a full backup/restore from tape or something and then upgrade the server to Win2K or something, you'd have an easier time of it. But if you're looking at manually moving an installed Unity system to a brand new box, you'll have some problems.

I do have an Export/Import tool I have some folks out there testing that exports all data from one Unity server and imports it to a clean install of Unity (i.e. you can export from 2.4.0 and import into a 2.4.6 server). This gets about 99% of your previous configuration, all greetings, voice names, users, handlers etc... I have a spot for this on my web page, but I haven't activated the download links for it yet since I'm still not comfortable with everyone going wild with it. It'll be part of the Unity 3.0 release later this year, but for now I still consider it beta. If you want to give this a whirl we can arrange something between the two of us (i.e. just importing a couple of users at a time and making sure everything is on the up and up before pulling the trigger on a full import).

Outside of that, there is no Cisco supported tool to do this at the moment.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

I'm interrested in this tool you are speaking of because I definitely want to make the move. Fortunately Our Unity system is not live yet, but I've put far too much work into configuring everything so far that I don't want to start over again. You say that the utility will move 99% of my configurations.

Obviously I know that it is not supported and that it's most likely considered beta, but what might I expect to be missing after using it?

I'm willing to give it a go If you think this will do the trick.

Anonymous
N/A

In it's current incarnation you wont get:

1. Routing Rules (I'll get those in a later version)

2. Subscriber telephone passwords (I can't really back these up and restore them on a new system since they are stored in a "one way" hashing string)

3. Anything you "hacked" in the registry (i.e. if you set the minimum ID length from 3 to 2 for instance) will not be backed up and restore.

4. Nothing on the configurations page in the SA (i.e. site name, contact information, file aging etc...) get's backed up and restore.

Outside of that, you should have it all.

Ping me at the email below and we can setup a time to do this if you're interested.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems

Anonymous
N/A

Jeff,

There's a possiblity that I'll need to do a similar process. Customer bought a downgraded server during the sales process and now that they see all the functionality and want lots of reliablity and redundancy, they want to replace their server with a 'beefier' box.

Any changes since this post in Feb?

Let me know.

Thanks,
Rob Thornton
Special Order Systems

Anonymous
N/A

Pretty much the same deal. If you download the export/import tools from my page there are help files in there that talk about how the process works. If all the users are homed off box, you're on easy street. If you've got folks on our local box as well you'll need to jump through some hoops to get those guys' messages (i.e. you can move their accounts off our box for the transition, save their messages in PST files or the like).

I know some folks in the CPR group here are working on a more formal document for this process where they talk about all the issues and different paths you might have to go down for POV vs. UM etc... but it wont be ready for a few weeks yet.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies