Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Moving From 4 to 5 Digit Numbering Plan

Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some feedback or ideas on moving from a 4 digit numbering plan to 5 digits. Instead of a user having the last four digits of their direct in-dial for their extension, it will be the last five. Currently we have two clusters with overlapping extensions, to faciliate this we use international codes to prefix extensions for inter-cluster calls. Moving to 5 digits will give us unique extensions over both clusters.

To complete this I'm planning to export a bunch of phone configurations and use the power of Excel to adjust the extensions and import them in again. However, this is no small task as we also want to fix people's speed dials, forwarding etc so they all match the new extensions. I count about 280 columns to check over various CSVs and with approximately 2000 users over both clusters, that means a lot of cells to be checked and updated. This introduces a risk that during the time someone is processing those CSVs, someone has updated their forwarding meaning we essentially break their forwarding.

Does anyone have a better process to do this? Currently running CUCM 8.5.

Cheers,

Mark

Everyone's tags (7)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

If you can avoid overlaps you can do this in phases.

Alternatively you could develop an AXL application that updates all DNs via SQL.  Within our organization we have developed just that which make migrations such as this (belive it or not this is common request) a breeze as it handles not only all DNs/TPs, but also forward options, etc.  So, it is definitely doable if you have development skills.

Chris

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

If you can avoid overlaps you can do this in phases.

Alternatively you could develop an AXL application that updates all DNs via SQL.  Within our organization we have developed just that which make migrations such as this (belive it or not this is common request) a breeze as it handles not only all DNs/TPs, but also forward options, etc.  So, it is definitely doable if you have development skills.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that's a good idea.

Unfortunately I don't have the development skills and our development team won't have the capacity to turn it around in two weeks (talk about a deadline!).

I have spoken to our SQL DBAs though and they reckon they'll be able to suck the CSVs in, modify it using SQL and spit them back out again.

Views
Helpful
Replies