Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Moving mailboxes from E5.5 to E2K when in mix-mode

Hi guys,

I have just upgraded to 4.0.2 from 2.4.6 successfully. Now, I want to move those mailboxes from E5.5 to E2K. I've read the Unity Tech Tip for moving these mailboxes. However, since my 2.4.6 box had E5.5 running locally, and all my VM boxes, including the Unity folder, are located on this E5.5 box, I was wondering if there is anything special that I need to know before moving the VM boxes from E5.5.(Unity 2.4.6) into the E2K server? Are they treated the same as Subscriber UM boxes? Meaning, I should disable the VM boxes before moving them?

Also, what is the "best practice" for creating a special container within the Exch site for VM only boxes? Is this something that is common, and should it be done for VM boxes so that its easier to manage?

Thanks again for your help earlier with my 4.0.2 issues... it was all because of silly permissions and container rights...

Regards,

Lee

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Moving mailboxes from E5.5 to E2K when in mix-mode

I think I kinda understand what's going on here, but not totally...

UM vs VM is a liscening issue, not any physical difference in Exchange or the directory.

"Also, what is the "best practice" for creating a special container within the Exch site for VM only boxes? Is this something that is common, and should it be done for VM boxes so that its easier to manage? "

It sounds like you're concerned about "mixing" UM and VM subscribers. That's not going to be possible on one Unity server. Unity subscribers per server are going to all have to be one way or another. It would be possible to use a UM license as if it was only VM, but not the other way around.

If there's one Unity server that has VM and another Unity server that has UM, then it's totally fine whether these Unitys have subscribers on the same or different Exchange server(s). If you wanted to separate the UM user from one Unity from the VM users on another Unity, you could simply create another mailbox store.

Am I way off here?

That's what I meant.. I am using UM licenses for about 30 "VM" only mailboxes.. the rest are all UM Subscribers.

However, you are right on the money.. I do understand the issue of having 1 Unity box here due to the fact that I've already pointed it to the particular container to which Unity will be Importing users and creating Subscribers. Since I could only point to one container (OU), then I am hosed for my idea...

Currently, since E5.5 is local on the old 2.4.6 box, this is how they're (my client) are able to "seperate" the "VM" type and UM mailboxes.

Now, would it be better for my to have E2K locally on the 4.0.2 box for "VM" only purposes, while at the same time "connect" to another E2K box for UM purpose? Is this doable? Or am I hosed there to due to the fact that you can only have E2K running locally on 4.0.2 if its only using VM licenses (which I don't have)..

Thanks again.

Cisco Employee

I'd recommend keeping the Exchange store (whether its VM or UM off of Unity). It's better to leave the Exchange business of storing messages off of Unity regardless if the user is UM or not.

Ok thanks... now, I am looking for some advise on when to move these "VM" mailboxes "off" of my local 2.4.6/E5.5 box and eventually into E2K. Eventually, the goal is to be off 2.4.6, E5.5 altogether and onto 4.0.2 and E2K. So in essense, I am doing a 2.4.6/4.0.2 and a E5.5/E2K migration all in one day.

Since I have a second E5.5 server within the same site, and this where all the current Subscriber mailboxes are located, then would it be wise for me to just move all the priv info store and recepients ("VM" stuff) off the 2.4.6/E5.5 server and into the second E5.5 (where all the current Subscriber are) server prior to migrating to E2K? You see, I'd like to have these mailboxes moved off the 2.4.6/E5.5 server, do a dbWalker on 2.4.6, then do an Export of 2.4.6, then shut the 2.4.6/E5.5 server down prior to bringing the 4.0.2 online. Once 4.0.2 is online, then I can do the Import, run dbWalker on the 4.0.2 box, and verify that everyone is good to go via the current E5.5 server (to which all Subscriber and now "VM" mailboxes are located). This way, I can do a "smooth" move of ALL mailboxes and stores from one E5.5 to the one E2K.

Does this make sense? Has anyone done this before?

Lee

Hi Guys...

I used your tech tip so to move my E5.5 mailboxes off my Unity server and onto the other E5.5 box. This worked great. However, I was wondering, would it be "best practice" for me to shut my Unity box down when moving all the mailboxes? I have the choice, and I'd rather do it if it prevents me from having to manually "log off" all the Subscribers via DoHPropTest.

Thanks again.

Lee

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content