Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Moving Unity 3.1x to a new AD domain

I have a customer that is moving to a brand new AD domain. Currently, they have Unity 3.1(3) with Exchange 2K off-box. They have already built the new domain and Exchange 2K server. I need to get Unity into the new domain. They also want to go to Unity 4.0(3).

From what I have read in these forums, it looks like DiRT is the best way to go. I read the DiRT help file and played the videos. I still have a couple of questions.

The customer is planning on running EXMERGE to migrate their Exchange information from their old server to the new server. Should I just let them do it, or would it make sense for me to backup and restore the entire mailbox with DiRT? If I do this, is there any reason for the customer to have pre-built any user accounts in AD/Exchange since DiRT will create them if not found? Is it cleaner to have DiRT do the EXMERGE, or will both yield the same end-result.

Thanks,

- Tony

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Moving Unity 3.1x to a new AD domain

Both will yield the same results in most cases but if it were me I'd let DiRT do it all in one shot - the primary reason for this is it constructs an INI file that I pass into ExMerge that handles varying domain/mailbox paths during the restore nicely. ExMerge supports this but it leaves it up to you to construct this gnarly looking INI file to make the mappings - DiRT does this for you.

Other than that, DiRT isn't doing anything different than just running ExMerge manually.

Be sure to read the permissions issues with ExMerge in the DiRT help file very carefully - Microsoft has put lots of land mines in there based on group membership restricting SA/RA rights - DiRT checks these aggressively at startup and it'll bark at you if they're not right.

Also, be sure to get the latest DiRT versions off CiscoUnityTools.com before starting.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content