cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving users between Unity Servers

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Scenario:<br><br>Single Exchange Site, 3 Exchange Servers Plus 2 Unity Servers<br>Unity A is IP Telephony<br>Unity B is Lucent PBX<br>Unity 2.4.6<br><br>Client wants to move users off IP Telephony back onto PBX, what is best way to home users to Unity B instead of Unity A. Are there any bulk methodologies to move 100 or so users?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Chris<br><br>

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

not currently, but it's on my list. I have tools to move subscriber information from a subscriber account to a standing email account (for going from VM to UM configs) and to backup/restore all subscribers on different systems but currently no way to move a subscriber from one Unity box to another Unity box in the system without losing any subscriber configuration data.

I have two tools planned that may help, but they'll be a little while coming since I have 3 or 4 others in the queue already and there's only one of me right now (I'm working on recruiting other folks to help out).

One would be simply enhancing the Full Import Tool to allow selective Subscriber imports (i.e. choose from a grid of users in the backup for which ones you'd want to restore to the system). Essentially you'd do a full backup of the PBX system, remove a few of the subscribers you want to move from that box, go over to your target box, run the import and select those guys for import. You lose passwords in this process but that's about all. Not the slickest thing in the world but better than nothing.

The other tool for this would be a "move user" tool I'm designing for 3.x for easily shuffling users around Unity servers in a dialing domain for load balancing purposes. I don't think I'll be doing this tool for 2.x since in 3.x I can leverage the SQL capabilities to do this much, much easier than 2.x.

Regardless, in the short term you're only option is to remove them as subscribers on one box and import them as subscriber on the other. You lose your greetings and the like... not ideal, I know.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)