cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSDE and service pack failure

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I am installing a fresh Unity 3.1, just recieved from Cisco. I followed the destructions for installing the MSDE, SQL Enterprise Mgr, and then the Service pack installation for the MSDE fails. <br><br>To install the SP, I run G:\SQL2000_SP1\MSDE\Setup.exe /p SQLRUN<br><br>Then I get a message box stating "Please wait while Windows configures the SQL Server Desktop Engine. Then i am prompted for the MSDE install disk, and am asked to browse to the SqlRun01.msi. I find that file located at G:/MSDE/Setup/SqlRun01.msi . Then I get a message box stating: "An installation package for the product Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine cannot be found. Try the installation package SqlRun01.msi"<br><br>I downloaded the SQL server MSDE SP1 directly from microsoft and got a different error message: "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."<br><br>TechNet says that I will get that error message if the instance was created using SqlRun02.msi - SqlRun16.msi<br><br>Any ideas?<br><br><br><br>

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

Hey - Thanks for the link. I was experiencing the same problems!

:-) Ginger

WOW!! TAC needs help, they acted like they had never heard of this before. They acted like I was crazy and wasn't installing it correctly. I came across the caveat in the Readme file and sent it to TAC but they were no help at all on how to fix it.

I hope this link will help me get the SP2 applied.

As a side note, I know have tried this from the command line under Start/Run and it did not work but I hope to get it to work from a Command Window.

Not applicable

I have run into this a few times as well. My workaround is to copy the MSDE service pack directory to the hard drive. Insert the Data Store CD in the unity server. Then from the directory that you copied before run setup.exe /p SQLRUN. I have not had any issues with running this way. The Install guide for Unity 3.1 has alot of flubs and things that dont make a whole lot of sense.

Thanks for the workaround. I had the exact same problem, and error messages. This brief note resolved my issues.