Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Multi Site Paging

Now that I am firmly in the throws of the installation, my old nemesis - paging has come back to haunt me. I finally decided to go with an external paging system (Valcom to be exact) and avoid the complexity and incompleteness of a third party XML solution.

The scenario is that I have (2) physical locations (not connected via wire), each location has a page control unit with speakers attached to it. The Control Unit is fed from the CM via FXS ports in each location. The idea is to have 1 extension for side A, 1 extension for side B, and a third extension that will ring to both sides (for an all page). The "both sides" issue is what seems to be causing a problem. How can I give 1 extension to 2 separate FXS ports and have them go off hook at the same time?

e.g..

ext. 2000 on FXS port 1/1 to page building 1

ext. 2001 on FXS port 2/1 to page building 2

ext. 2003 on FXS ports 1/2 and 2/2 to page both buildings

If there are any paging "gurus" out there, especially one familiar with Valcom, I would love to pick their brain.

Thanks,

Jim Richardson

3 REPLIES

Re: Multi Site Paging

Jim- I don't envy you. The only thing I can think of to accomplish this would be a hoot-n-holler scenario.

This could get a little (or quite) complex, so I'll email some details on what I think would work.

Jim,

I have just recently brought up a manufacturing site with an IP phone system and I am currently researching paging vendors. I currenly have a quote for using Valcom equipment but before I buy, can you offer any comments regarding the product or your installation? My plan is to have multiple zones (office, manufacturing, and both) for paging. I have a 3640 router with an FXS card.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Nadin

Sr. Systems Admin

CPI, Inc.

I am not sure if this will work with fxs ports but,

use more than one physical port and connect:

ext 2000 = fxs port 1/1

ext 2001 = fxs port 2/1

ext 2002 = fxs port 3/1 and 4/1 or just use a y cable to connect a single port to 2 phone lines.

Views
Helpful
Replies