Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Multi Site Unity with Location Codes

We have implemented a Multi Site CCM and Unity installation using 3-digit location codes to avoid duplicate 4-digit extensions across sites. As a result, the mailboxes are seven digits long. When someone calls into the main auto attendant and is told that they can enter a users extension at any time (i.e they know the four digit extension) is there a way to have Unity append the 3 digit location code to the four digits provided by the caller in order to match on the 7 digit mailbox number. Otherwise I have to tell the caller to dial the 3 digit location code plus the four digit extension.

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Multi Site Unity with Location Codes

I'm curious how Unity would know _which_ 3 digit location code to append in this case? Would you have different opening greetings configured to handle calls coming from the different CCM sites or something along those lines?

Regardless, there's no mechanism in Unity for appending digits on lookups on a single box installation like that - I'm more curious about your scenario to keep it in mind as we're working on proper multiple tenant support moving forwad...

Yes, each site has it's own call handler for it's own Auto Attendant so it should "know" which location code to append (if i could just tell it some how). I know that with call routing I can route a call to a specific number to a specific subscriber but that isn't going to work for hundreds/thousands of users unless there's a way to wild card it (e.g. all calls to 54?? go to 22754??).

I also explored the option of searching based on Class of Service where for each location, users would be in a different CoS). Then you could assign an alternate extension 4 digits long and match on that as the 4 digit DN would be unique per CoS (kind of like using partitions). Problem is Unity won't allow you to assign the same extension or alternate extension across the system.

Then i looked at mappings but, correct me if I'm wrong, those can only be used to modify information on inbound calls, not caller input.

Cisco Employee

That's correct - the routing rules and the extension remapping feature only work on initial inbound calls. For users in the auto attendant dialing extensions, DB lookups are done "straight" with no modifiers when doing transfer lookups like this. Within a single dialing domain all extensions must be unique - across dialing domains in the same network they can conflict, however that's only useful for subscriber addressing scenarios (i.e. where users can be presented with a list of matches). For auto attendant transfer searches the extension search is limited to the local dialing domain which can include several Unity servers but which does require that all extensions for all subscribers in that dialing domain be unique.

The only way I can see working around this at the moment would be by using multiple Unity servers and using local call handlers (that are not replicated around the dialing domain on the network) to handle the 4 digit extension transfers on each server. That doesn't sound like where you want to go, however.

Ideally, I would think you would want to add another table to the database to contain location information. That way, locations could be associated with call handlers, interview handlers, routing, etc so that different treatments could be applied based on location. From the perspective of my original question, it would allow Unity to append the location code to caller input to obtain the mailbox number.

Cisco Employee

Locations are already in seperate tables and objects already have references to them - however there's only a single "primary location" object that all local full subscribers and handlers etc... are associated with. There's "delivery locations" which can be created that are used for networking via VPIM/AMIS/SMTP, but that's a seperate issue.

It's a little trickier than just allowing multiple primary locaiton objects on a single box and associating different handlers/subscribers/interviewers etc... to those locations to determine dialing scope. Handling inbound calls initially through routing rules is going to need a major overhaul to handle this. Making sure each tenant has a core set of system objects (i.e. templates/COS/opening greeting, operator call handlers, say goodbye etc...). Proper tenant services work will need segmented administration/licensing that will also take some digging to get right. There's lots of little details for doing this correctly.

The plan for this is being worked on, however...

Thanks for the input.

I look forward to seeing this implemented.

In the mean time, I'll have the greeting say, "...If you know the extension of the person you are calling, please dial 227 plus the four digit extension...".

Thanks for the input.

I look forward to seeing this implemented.

In the mean time, I'll have the greeting say, "...If you know the extension of the person you are calling, please dial 227 plus the four digit extension...".

Views
Helpful
Replies