cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast MOH with H.323 Gateway

nyciscotech
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any special configuration options for a H.323 gateway to get multicast MOH functional?

MOH works fine, but when I configure the MOH server for multicast and assign it to the appropriate MRG and MRL I get silence when the user is put on hold.

I read somewhere that a loopback interface needs to be created on the gateway, is this true for all cases?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I had the same issue.

Verify the multicast routing.

I came across this bug, which will help you out.

CSCeb58213

MOH doesnot stream if MTP unchecked for H.323 Gateway

Check the MTP required in your H.323 gateway configuration. And reset the gateway.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Are you trying to get the gateway to transmit or receive mcast MoH?

Do you mean receive and that users on the PSTN can't hear the sound?

If you mean that I think you need the 'ccm-manager music-on-hold' command on the gateway.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi,

Is your infrastructure multicast enabled?

You could add the following commands to your router:

(global config)

ip multicast-routing

and on your interfaces:

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

ip igmp join-group x.x.x.x ====>>>ip address of multicast source

ccm-manager music-on-hold is for mgcp gateways to the best of my knowledge....

HTH

Andy

Thank you for the replies.

Callers from the PSTN do not receive any MOH, they just get silence. It doesn't matter if the call originates inside or outside.

Not looking to stream MOH to seperate sites, just main office. The only reason multicast is being configured is so the music constantly "loops" without starting from the beginning.

Yes ccm-manager commands are for MGCP gateways.

I will try the ip multicast-routing suggestion and let you know.

Thanks for the help

Sorry - didn't read your post properly...

I'll try harder - what version of IOS do you have? According to the SRND 4.1 you need 12.2(8)T to receive mcast MOH on H323.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Don't forget to check the hop count on the audio source in the MoH server config, that one has gotten me before. Especially since they have total silence, that means the server thinks he is playing it, or else you would get tone on hold.

Mary Beth

But, it is more likely to be your router needing to be configured for multicast, if it was not (from the rls notes when mcast moh on gateway first supported)-

The default router in the network for handling multicast traffic must have the following enabled:

•Multicast routing

•A multicast routing protocol, for example Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) or Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol (DVMRP)

•An IP routing protocol, for example Routing Information Protocol (RIP) or Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)

When you configure a multicast address on a gateway, the gateway sends an Internet Gateway Management Protocol (IGMP) "join" message to the default router, indicating to the default router that the gateway is to receive RTP multicast packets.

You might also need this multicast troubleshooting tech note, if things don't go right away:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093f21.shtml

Mary Beth

Thanks for the help everyone!

I added in those lines into the router, still not working on calls from the PSTN.

When I do internal to internal everything works great. When a call to the outside is inbound/outbound I don't even get a beep, just silence.

Any other ip configurations you could recommend or command to troubleshoot it furhter? The link above showed some troubleshooting commands but the responses look just like the response on my router.

Thanks!

Was just looking around having the exact same problem, although I have an MGCP gateway.

I added the following commands to my router to get it to work.

config t

ip multicast-routing

int f0/1 (GATEWAY for MY VOICE TRAFFIC)

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

Made a call and put myself on hold and it worked. Hope this helps.

I had the same issue.

Verify the multicast routing.

I came across this bug, which will help you out.

CSCeb58213

MOH doesnot stream if MTP unchecked for H.323 Gateway

Check the MTP required in your H.323 gateway configuration. And reset the gateway.

Thank you very much... this simple setting fixed the problem!

I will be very careful to enable MTP on a H.323 gateway. I would rather to test the loopback option under SRST configs. I had issue before with H.323 with MTP enabled. Depends on your hardware DSP resources, it might degrade the voice quality.

Hello,

You MUST have a loopback interface to make Multicast MOH for PSTN callers working.

In your SRST config :

multicast moh 239.x.x.x port 16384 route

Bye

jp

pyandle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, You'll definitely need a Loopback address and the 'h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr' configured under the loopback interface.

The 'ccm-manager music-on-hold' command will also be required.

If you use the 'show ccm-manager music-on-hold' command it should show the RTP port number being received.

IF you're incrementing MOH streams by port number the port number changes based on stream number and codec used.

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: