Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Active Directory Controllers

What are the ramifications of having multiple Active Directory Controllers in the same network? My customer wants to have the 2.4.6 Unity server reside in his existing 2000 Domain. <br><br>Adam W. Moore

5 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Multiple Active Directory Controllers

Unity 2.4.6 will work just fine with an AD domain controller whether it is one or many. This is a very common configuration. The only thing you can't do it setup the ADC between Exchange 5.5 and AD and of course Exchange 2000 is not supported with 2.4.6.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

I would like some clarification. I am installing a 2.4.6 Unity server running 2000 into an existing 2000 domain. Should I configure the Unity server as: a. Domain Controller, or b. an Additional Domain Controller. If I install as an Additional DC the system wants to contact the existing DC so I can join the Domain and will not let me install Exchange unless I do join the Domain. Since I am installing at the office in our Lab instead of at the customers site I am wondering if I could install as a Domain Controller and just connect into the network as is. Will this cause any issues?

Adam W. Moore

Joining the domain as a member server is the recommended way, as this reduces the load on the server. But, joining the domain as an additinal DC is supported, and will provide some redundancy if you dont already have additional DC's.

If this is going to be a Unified Messaging environment, I strongly recommend against installing in your lab.

-Dustin

Anonymous
N/A

The system will be a stand alone VM server, it will not be a unified system. The only way I can get Exchange to install in the lab environment is to set the 2000 server up as the 'only server in the network'. Then I can install Exchange. What ramifications are there with this procedure once I place the Unity server into the real network?

Adam W. Moore

Gold

If you install this as a stand alone machine, AD in its own forest, the only ramification will be that the existing customer domain and this domain will not be joined, ever. You would need to reinstall to make this a member server or additional DC if your requirements changed at a later time.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content