cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple DN's into a single voicemail box

mattski1
Level 1
Level 1

Issue: User(s) has multiple directory numbers (DID, internal extension, etc.) but wants unanswered calls from each DN to forward into a single voicemail box.<br><br>Question: How excactly do I accomplish this feat utilizing Call Manager 3.0(10) and Unity 2.4.6?<br><br>Having read through most of the posts here, I'm gathering that I'm going to have to utilize call handlers to pull this off...<br><br>Would someone mind explaining exactly what steps are involved here?<br><br>Many thanks in Advance,<br><br>Matt<br><br>Matt Smith<br>Network Engineer<br>Network Catalyst, Inc.<br>

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

OK… I have to say first that Unity 3.0 handles 10 IDs per subscriber and will handle this (and lots of other cool scenarios like this) smooth as butter. You can also use “extension remapping” to handle large ranges of extensions that need to be retranslated in a hurry.

For 2.4.6, the procedure here is to setup a call handler for each of the alternate extensions you want Unity to forward to a subscriber’s mailbox. Configure them such that the alternate greeting is enabled and set to “Blank” and set the after greeting action to be “sent to greeting for” and point it at the subscriber’s mailbox.

All calls that forward from this number will end up getting routed to the call handler you just made which will then bounce the call directly to the subscriber’s greeting.

I realize the admin overhead for doing this is rather large if you have a bunch of alternate extensions for lots of users, but in 2.4.x that’s the only option you have for this.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Thanks for the info, Jeff.

Matt Smith
Network Engineer
Network Catalyst, Inc.

Not applicable

you could also use call routing rules to accomplish the same thing

Not applicable

Well... not really. At least not in most situations.

There's a practical limit of around 100-150 routine rules in a system before it starts bogging down on you. As such you couldn't just add a specific routing rule for each alternate extension you wanted to remap, at least not in an install of any significant size.

You'll need to use the call handler trick unless you only have a handfull of extensions that need this.

In Unity 3.0 you have some other options including alternate extensions and an extension mapping file to do this.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: