cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple DNs

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

How can I handle users w/multiple directory numbers? Here's the scenario: Customer will be running Unity 2.4.6 and CallManager 3.08. They want each user to have two DNs, 1st DN is associated with a DID, 2nd DN is not. 1st DN is to forward on busy to 2nd DN, 2nd DN is to forward no answer/forward on busy to Unity. They want 1st (DID) DN to be user's voicemail extension. How do I get a call forwarded from the 2nd DN to be recognized as a call for the 1st DN voicemail?<br><br>

7 Replies 7

Not applicable

In Unity 3.0 we will have support for up to 10 IDs (DNs) for each subscriber which will make this scenario a lot simpler.

In Unity 2.4.x you’ll need to use a call handler for each additional ID you want to associate a mail user with. The easiest way to do this is to configure a call handler with an ID that matches the 2nd DN you mention above. Configure the alternate greeting to be active, set it to blank and set the after greeting action to “send to greeting” back to the subscriber that owns the 1st DN.

The caller will end up at the greeting of the subscriber regardless of which number the forward from. Just setup the 1st DN to forward to the voice mail on RNA and to the 2nd DN on busy. The 2nd DN should forward to voice mail on RNA or Busy.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Thx, that works great. Now is there any way to batch the creation of 120 call handlers similar to your bulk edit tool?

Not applicable

No, I don't have anything handy to rip through and create new call handlers in bulk... you can back them up and restore them using the HandlerExport/Import but that's not what you're looking for.

It'll have to be a pretty manual process until 3.0 arrives I'm afraid...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Actually, there's a much easier way:

In your service parameters of Call Manager (Service -> Service Parameters), make sure that the "RedirectingNumIEDeliveryFlag" is set to TRUE (Default is False). With this, you can forward on no answer/busy multiple times, although the Setup message will always contain the original DN that the call originated from. Therefore, you only need to worry about the main/first DN in Unity. The description for this setting is as follows:

"This flag applies to the SETUP message only on all protocols for the digital access gateway. When the flag is set to True, the RedirectingNumberIE is included in the SETUP message to indicate the first redirecting number and the redirecting reason of the call when Call Forward happens. "

This config is tested, and is how we currently have the Unity integration working with multiple DN's.

John

Not applicable

Cool... that's pretty clean.

So long as folks aren't ever dialing the 2nd line directly (which is not uncommon in a multiple line appearance type sscenario) this will work fine. If you have multiple lines owned by the same subscriber that may or may not get direct calls and need to forward, you'll still have to fall back to the call handler business, at least until 3.0 is out.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Exactly!

Not applicable

The "RedirectingNumIEDeliveryFlag" change worked in 3.08, but I don't see that param in 3.09. Any suggestions?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: