Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Multiple MWI Integrations

Any one know of a hack to allow Unity to fire MWIs on multiple DIFFERENT integrations at the same time?

e.g. User has both a Centrex and a Call Manager extension in two different locations. I need to light the MWI on both the Call Manager and the Centrex. (e.g. send an SMDI MWI activate and also send a TAPI MWI activate)

Even though in Unity I can list up to 9 separate MWI numbers the documentation leaves out that they all need to be using the same integration. (oops)

Lee

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Multiple MWI Integrations

Cisco Employee

That works really well if you've got a single integration configured on Unity and what to add a "partial" integration for alternate MWIs only. But since in this case the serial engine is already in use by the Centrex integration I'm not sure if the CCM integration will be able to load a serial MWI method. We're going to poke at this a bit in our lab in Seattle to see if it blows up. I'll post the results here.

So just to be clear I add these lines to the end of my Centrex 0008.ini file

[MWI Alternate1]

Active=Yes

Digit=@

MWIType=TAPI

CodesChangeable=no

In the subscriber Message tab I put the MWI second listing as @X or @XXXX (Listing the actual Cisco extension)

Yes?

Lee

Cisco Employee

Bad news, doesn’t look like this is going to work. I tried it two ways. First, adding a MWIType=Serial alternate MWI method to the Cisco0002.ini switch file. This caused some serious errors on startup and none of the serial integration worked. So next I tried adding a MWIType=TAPI alternate MWI method to the Centrex0008.ini file. With this, Unity attempted both serial MWI and a dialout MWI for my test subscriber (test subscriber was associated with the Centrex integration). Sadly, Unity would only look for available ports for the dialout amongst the Centrex ports. It won’t do the dialout on the CCM ports.

Unfortunately, having a single subscriber with extensions on both sides of a dual integration is not something that was planned for during design time. You’ll run into similar problems with transfers, yes? Probably the official recommendation should to be pick one phone system to send the MWI request to and just send message notification dialouts to the other. Not nearly the same, I know, but might be the best option within the designs of Unity.

That said, I’ve got a couple hacks I want to try out. Let me get back to you on this one.

Cisco Employee

Wow, I got it to work. I half don’t believe it myself so bear with me while I go over the process…

1. Make a copy of the AVSMDI.AVD configuration file and name it AVSMDI2.AVD

2. Edit AVSMDI2.AVD so that it uses COM port 2 rather than 1

Toward the bottom you should see something like…

Port=1 <- change this to a 2

baud=1200

parity=Even

dataBits=7

stopBits=1

3. Add the following section to the end of the Cisco0002.ini file…

[Alternate MWI]

Active=Yes

Digit=Z

MWIType=Serial

SerialConfiguration=SMDI2

4. Now for Subscribers associated with the CCM integration, add additional MWI extensions such as this…

Z9015551212

(the Z fires the alt MWI method and 9015551212 is the 10-digit Centrex phone number that you want to send the request for)

My test failed previously because when the CCM integration loaded the alt MWI method requested use of COM1. Then when the Centrex integration initialized it also requested COM1 but was blocked. I ended up with no serial integration at all. With the config above, CCM requests COM2 fine. Then the Centrex requests COM1, no problem. Now, here’s the cool part. You’re asking, “but how will this work with MWIs firing out of both COM1 and COM2?” Turns out Unity’s serial engine has no chance of running both COM ports at the same time. When the second integration loads it overrides the serial configuration of the first integration. In my case, everything ended up going in and out of COM1. Note that if you’re integrations initialize in the other order (Centrex then CCM) then you might need to flip-flop the COM1-2.

Finally, everything above is well outside intended and tested configuration for Unity. If you want to try it out, I can help you a bit on this forum but beyond that you’re on your own.

BTW My other harebrained idea involved spitting off the SMDI cable from the Unity server and running the CMI service on the CallManager.

Eric,

Okay so now I'll go back and "repair" my Centrex0008.ini file and make the changes to the cisco0002 file and see what happens tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Now if there was some hack to get caller id to play when pressing 9 while listening to messages, or even better getting that info sent out with pager notifications.

Lee

Oh well. I tried the various settings and got the box totally hosed. I'm rebooting it again and hopefully it will come back up operating.

I changed the ports on the AVSMDI to 1 and AVSMDI2 to 2, and the SMDI completely broke. Now I'm trying it the opposite way. Worse comes to worse I'll just put all the settings back. Turns out on the 10-digit idea I had to change the number of one of the call processors to 10 digits to get it to work.

Lee

As soon as I add the Alternate MWI to the Cisco0002.ini file the SMDI integration stops working. I even tried exchanging the port= setting in the AVSMDI and AVSMDI2 files.

So now what?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content