cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple sites

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Sorry in advance, I'm sure yor're fed up with this question - I've read the previous articles concerning one unity box with multiple sites within one org. Can you please just confirm whether we can or cannot install Unity as a standalone voice messaging system in its own domain serving the 3 seperate sites (obviously with trusts setup) ? I can appreciate why it can't be setup as a unified system but can it be setup as a standalone voice messaging system serving the 3 sites?<br> <br><br>

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

I'm unsure what you mean by a "stand alone" Unity servicing multiple Exchnage sites... that doesn't make any sense. If we're a stand alone voice mail system then all mailboxes are homed on the Exchange server on our local box, we are not installed into any existing Exchange site and we provide voice mail only (i.e. no TTS email access, no desktop access to voice mail etc...). So if we're stand alone then the site configuration doesn't mean anything because we wont be attached to the customer's existing Exchange site.

If, instead, you want to service mail user in multiple sites and provide voice mail services to their existing mailboxes (this is Unified Messaging) then no, you can't do this across site boundaries. We are unable to log in to mailboxes with "super user" rights necessary across site connectors... it's a MAPI limitation. We can deliver messages anywhere in the organization no problem but we can't monitor your inbox for state changes or to get at your inbox over the phone across a site boundary. Each Exchange site needs to have at least one Unity server for users in that site.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Please advise, will the 1 Unity box be able to provide a voice mail only system (i.e. no
TTS email access, no desktop access to voice mail etc...). for the 3 sites within the one organisation.

Not applicable

OK - I take it that we can setup 1 Unity box for voice mail only for three seperate sites within an organisation.

Not applicable

I'm still really confused at your use of the terms "site" and "organization". If Unity is not integrating with the company's existing Exchange organization, why do you care how many sites there are? If you're doing voice mail only, that means voice mail only... we don't talk to external Exchange servers in that configuration, everyone has a mailbox on our box that's used only to provide voice mail services.

If that's how your installing, they can have 3 or 300 sites and it wont matter because we're not hooked up to them.

If you want us to store messages in their existing mailstores (i.e. so they can get at them with their Outlook clients) you must install us into their existing Exchange sites and then you will require at least one Unity server per site since we cannot log into mailboxes across a site boundary.

Perhaps you're using the terms "site" and "organization" in a non Exchange sense?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: