cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Unity Servers same company

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I am looking for the recommended integration of multiple unity servers within the same company. The integration will be 2.4.6, Voice Mail Only. <br><br>My question is, How can I integrate this so that the Unity servers can communicate to each other. What is the most effective. Can you join both VMO servers in the same exchange site, or is the recommended integration two exchange servers (In separate sites) with the IVR connecter between them. I remember doing this in the training class, just need a refresher. <br><br>Could you point me at some documentation relating to this.<br><br>Thank You!<br><br><br>

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

If you want Unity servers of any version to communicate with one another they must be in the same Exchange site (or in the same directory in the case of 3.0 working with Ex2K). Depending on the number of users in your GAL, Unity 2.x has some limitations here for performance reasons. Unity 3.0 handles this much nicer and can scale (presently) to 100,000 users in the GAL (2.x has a limit of 2500).

You may find the Networking Overview document useful in understanding how this works in 3.0. You can get a copy off my web page below on the General Tools page. I'm in the process of updating it again (mostly grammar cleanup and a few minor edits) but the one out there is the one used by the engineers during the 3.0 development cycle.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Is this the same of VMO servers. Are there any limitations.

yes... if you're going to be doing lookups in the directory (i.e. you're going to be addressing messages to users on other Unity servers in the site) the total size of the GAL matters... the bigger it is, the slower the lookups are going to be regardless of how many subscribers you have on the boxes. You can have just a few hundred subscribers but if the GAL is large, lookup speeds when addressing will be too slow to be acceptable.

Unity 3.0 does not have this issue since we're using SQL as the primary backend instead of storing everyting in the Exchange/AD directory... the NetworkingOverview2001 doc on my web page goes into more detail about this structure and how it works, you should give it a look.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Is it possible to have Unity server A communicating with CCM Cluster A and Unity Server B communicating with CCM Cluster B. Then, is it possible to have Both unity servers have the ability to do Unity Lookups on each others Unity server. I think I am making sense.

My Goal is to:
1.) Have users have the ability to access the corporate directory and perform a "Spell By Name on Unity server A. and be able to pull this user information from Unity Server B.

My question is...... Can I have Unity Server A and Unity Server B in the same Exchange 5.5 Site. Unity Server A will have TSP communicating to CCM Cluster A. and Unity Server B will have TSP communicating to CCM Cluster B. What I want to know is that if a Subscriber on Unity server A Does a spell by name for a user that exists on Unity Server B, will that user be accessed.

Hope I am making my self clear.

Will Unity 3.x run on Exchange 5.5 as well...

As long as both the Unity boxes are in the same Exchange Site, this will be possible with Unity 3.0. You will need to understand how to do networking in 3.0 to make sure you get all the items right.
There are issue in the name addressing as well as the transfers from one Unity to the other.
Please read the networking overview document that is available on http://www.answermonkey.net.

Yes Unity 3.0 will work with Exchange 5.5

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: