Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Multiple Unitys

Ok... I'm really confused... Here's my scenario...<br><br>2 sites, Unity and CM in each. 4 digit extension calling between phones is working.<br><br>I want to be able to hit the Unity AutoAttendant in Site A and dial 4 digits to Site B. <br><br>I am currently using 2 different Exchange sites (one per location). Also, I will want be able to transfer saved VM between sites... <br><br>What is the best way to do this ??? I would prefer not to use one site (my WAN links are 768k).<br><br>Thanks, <br><br>--Jon<br><br>

3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Multiple Unitys

You're not going to be able to do this with two sites at all with Unity 2.x. And with low bandwidth connections between them I'm not sure you'll want to tackle this even in Unity 3.0.

However, you can do most of what you want in 3.0 (i.e. you can find users and forward messages to them etc... across two Unity servers in different Exchange sites). Audio text applications, however, are NOT replicated between Unity servers so dialing extensions of call handlers or interview handlers across both Unity servers wont be possible. You can dial extensions of subscribers in either the local Unity server or the remote Unity server and do release transfers to them (supervised transfers across Unity servers is not possible). Further outside callers can find subscribers by name across both boxes in this scenario, although again only release transfers are supported across Unity servers.

Not sure if this is close enough for you or not... you'll want to download the Networking Overview 2001.doc file off my web page (you'll find it on the "General Tools" page). This goes in to much more detail about the ins and outs of connecting multiple systems together and the limitations you have to understand in Unity 3.0.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

Ok... I'm having a brain drain here... what if I decided to sacrifice VM transfer with 2.4 (we plan to upgrade to 3.x with CM3.1 within 3 months)... can I setup 4 digit dialing from Site A to Site B from the AutoAttendant ?

With 2 Exchange sites... location should work, right ? That won't solve the 4 digit dial from AA, but would allow VM transfers !!?!?! Am I on the right path ???

--Jon

Anonymous
N/A

Nope... you can't transfer between users across multiple boxes at all in Unity 2.x... regardless of if they're in the same site or not. Networking in 2.x was restricted to only addressing messages to remote users (off box, off network, blind addressing etc...). Transfers and dialing domains were added to networking in 3.0...

again, the networking overview document covers a lot of this in detail, you'll really want to give it a read. I know it's kinda long but it covers a lot of critical material in this area.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content