Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

MWI and message notification stopping

I am having a problem with a Unity 2.4.0.120 connected to a NEC 2400 PBX. This is in a single site Exchange environment with one other Exchange 5.5 server. This obviously is not a new install or upgrade and has been working reliably for several years. For no reason Unity stops turning on and turning off MWI's and at the same time stops sending out message notification. I can restart Unity without rebooting and it will work great for about a day or so and than it just stops again with no error messages left in event viewer. Integration still works as I can watch the integration monitor and see the j-records. I'm am all out of ideas and with no errors left I have nothing to go on. I thought that maybe the cable used for the MCI integration maybe too long but I can see the j-records coming and going still after the message notification and MWI process has stopped. I can't think of anything left to look at or try. Any ideas would be extremely helpful.

Thank you.

10 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: MWI and message notification stopping

You might be running into CSCdx43466. This is where the MAPI thread that listens for Exchange notifications exits upon receiving a non-notification packet. This can easily happen if there are port scanners on the network.

Thank you for the quick response, however I am not familiar with a CSCdx43466. Is there anyway that I can confirm that this may be the problem or any fix that I can implement or any documentation on this that I can research.

Thank you.

Cisco Employee

There is a way to confirm it, but it's not easy. A memory dump of the AvCsMgr process needs to be taken and analyzed. At that point, the presence or absence of that thread can be verified by searching for it in that memory dump.

Since the retrieval of the memory dump requires a special tool and the analysis of the dump will require Windows, Exchange and Unity symbols, it's best done by a TAC engineer that has experience with this or a Unity developer.

If you have a CCO account, you can go to the TAC utilities page and launch the "Bug Toolkit" and enter in CSCdx43466.

The fix for the peoblem that I mention came from MS and is addressed in these two articles:

More Information: Microsoft has issued a fix for the way Exchange is reacting

to the rogue UDP packets.

Exchange 2000 KB article:

XCCC: MAPI Thread That Is Monitoring the New Mail Notification Quits (Q329024)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q329024&

Exchange 5.5 KB article:

XCCC: MAPI Thread That Is Monitoring the New Mail Notification Quits When It

Receives a UDP Packet (Q329415)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q329415&

Thank you for the additional information. I looked this up on Technet and on the Cisco bug tool as you suggested. This is definitely the direction I am heading towards. It mentions MWIs not synchronizing but would this also stop the dialing out for message notifications to pagers and the such? My guess is that yes it would but I would just like to confirm before I run the patch. I am also going to run an upgrade before this fix as I don't believe Cisco will support a Unity version this far back. Would you think an upgrade alone would cure this?

Thank you for the assistance.

Cisco Employee

You're absolutely right that it would stop all forms of Unity notification (MWIs, dialouts, pager...)

An upgrade is not a bad idea, but it's not going to solve this alone. That fix comes from Microsoft and is not distributed with Unity SW.

Silver

Do I install the MS Exchange patch on the off-box Exchange server, or on the Unity machine only, or both?

Thanks,

Partha

Did this fix your problem? I'm running into the same issue and it seems to have started up after installing some Microsoft patches on our Windows 2K server running Unity 2.4.6.

Yes, we installed service pack 4 for Exchange 5.5 and than installed the Microsoft patch and all seems to be working again. Thank you Oliviers for leading me in the right direction, this was a wierd one to diagnose.

Silver

Do I install the MS Exchange patch on the off-box Exchange server, or on the Unity machine only, or both?

I installed the patch on the Unity machine only to solve the problem.

Views
Helpful
Replies