Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

MWI behavior on an Exchange 5.5 UM

Hi there,

I just installed Cisco Unity with unified messaging license in an Exchange 5.5 site. I was able to import one user and was successful in testing it. When a voicemail arrives, the MWI turns ON notifying the user that he has a voice mail. However, when he refreshes his outlook inbox from his desktop, the MWI turns OFF. The client seems not to like the said behavior and would like to see that the MWI is ON until the user was able to retrieve it. How can I do this. I believe that this feature is for VM and not UM. Hope you can answer my queries... Thanks in advance.

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: MWI behavior on an Exchange 5.5 UM

The issue here is that you are downloading the messages off of the Exchange server. Once the message is removed from the Exchange server there is so possible way that Unity can gain access to it.

This doc is probably your best option:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a0080094e61.shtml

Hope this helps...

Keith

5 REPLIES

The functionality is the same regardless of whether the installation is VM or UM. Since the user's inbox is the message store for Unity, reviewing a message through either the TUI or Outlook will mark the message as being read. Refreshing Outlook also has this effect. Since the user can retrieve messages through either interface the user is certainly notified that they have received a Voice message. Using VMO also provides a distinct icon to differentiate Voicemail message in Outlook.

You may be able to use the instructions below to provide a separate view for voicemail in Outlook. All messages remain in the Inbox as required, but the filter and separate view may help.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.eea0e16/0#selected_message

Thanks for replying.

Actually, the problem is that if the voice message has been dumped on their desktop (refreshing Outlook), MWI turns off and accessing voice messages thru phone will return that there are no new messages (nor old messages). Can there be a way that they can access voice messages on both Outlook and phone? or is this the normal behavior of Unity.

Regards,

Roy

Gold

The issue here is that you are downloading the messages off of the Exchange server. Once the message is removed from the Exchange server there is so possible way that Unity can gain access to it.

This doc is probably your best option:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a0080094e61.shtml

Hope this helps...

Keith

Keith,

I think I agree on what you've said. The client did configure an Inbox rule where it would dump incoming messages out of their mailbox's inbox to their local hard drives. This, according to them, will save space on their exchange server.

What I did was to add another server (I used the Unity server) on their existing site which will hold voice mailbox. Moreover, the user will have 2 mailbox when accessing his Outlook. MWI behaves normally after doing this configuration.

Best Regards,

Roy

Gold

Yeah that will take care of it too. They also might want to look at using a compressed codec such as GSM 6.10 or g.729a:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a00801d6d2a.html#60568

Keith

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.