cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI Intermittently shows up on second line appear.

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

All 7940 and 7960 phones are configured with a second line appearance (same directory number different partition). Having a problem when a voicemail is left the light turns on and the envelope will show up on both line appearances. When you check your message the light will go out and the envelope on the first line appearance will disappear but it won't on the second and will still say you have voicemail on the display. The only way to get the envelope to disappear is to power down the phone and power it back up. Like I said this only happens sometimes, and I don't know what the case is that causes this. Anyone ever experience this?<br><br>

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

If you are using Callmanager 3.2 then I had that happen to me. The problem ended up being a problem with my calling search spaces/route partitions. I had the 2 lines in different route partitions. I also had the voicemail ports in a differnt CSS/Route partition. Within that was assigned to the ports, I had the 2 differnt Route partitions for the 2 lines and the voicemail partition. I removed the 2nd line CSS from the list and put the voicemail partition at the end of the list. Took care of it. I could never isolate why it did this but that took care of it.

Marcus Mitchell
SR Voice Applications Engineer
NEC Business Network Solutions

CallManager Digit Analysis (DA) will search Partitions assigned to a Call Search Space (CSS) from top to bottom. If it finds a match it will stop and route the call. If none of the partitions assigned to the CSS have a match DA will then search the 'none' partition for a match. If it finds a match it will route the call. If it does not find any match the call with fail and CallManager will return reorder tone.

Lighting of MWI uses the same CallManager DA process that dialing from a phone does.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

Are MWI and "envelope" appearances the same? sounds dumb, but in my test lab I have produced the same results using 2 partitions for the line appearances (leveraging the CCO at http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/single_dn_muli_line_14889.html) ... the MWI light is out, but the envelope still appears on Line 2, and reseting the phone via software or power off/on does not remove it ... any ideas? (setup is CCM 3.1.3a spD, Unity 3.1.3) TIA

CCM/Unity hack
Hope to be good one day ...

Not applicable

Lamp and envelope are the same in that both are turned on when an MWI is sent to the line. Depending on your CCM version and Phone Load version, the effect those have on the lamp is/can be different.

My guess is that if you check your CSS for your VM Ports, you will find that somewhere along the way (either directly or a translation pattern) it has access to both your line1 and line2 partitions.

You should only give your voicemail ports access to dial the line1 partition if your intention is to only lamp line1. I have phones that have up to 20 line appearances of the same DN (7960 + 7914) in different partitions and only the line that appears in partition "line1" ever lamps.

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

All of the actually MWI line state information is stored on the CallManager in SQL. Each instance of the phone DN in different partitions has a completely different instance of line control. Lighting MWI for one line should not light it for the other line appearances and rebooting the phone should not change the MWI status ever. It sounds to me like this is bug in the phone load (software the phone runs) if it does or that the CallManager is incorrectly lighting the lamp on both lines. After a reboot both would clear when the phone reregisters.

What version of code are you running on the CallManager and what load are you running on the 7960/7940? You might want to check the SQL database to make sure that the MWI flag is in fact not set for that line. This post shows you where we store the information in CallManager:
http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=Unity3x&Number=8979&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post8979

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems