cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI light will not turn off!

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,<br><br>I'm experiencing a problem whereas the MWI light on individual's phones will not shut off even after messages have been listened to/deleted. I have tried deleting the VM subscribers with this problem and reimporting them and get the same thing. The only work-around I've found is to create an entirely new subscriber (as opposed to importing an existing one.) This is not a good solution seeing as it requires two exchange mailboxes per user.<br><br>Thanks in advance for any advice.<br><br>

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

First, we need some basic information here before we go throwing out possible solutions.

What kind of switch/integration are you working with here? Is this happening for everyone or just a handful of users? Which version of Unity are you working with?

If you create a new user with the same extension number (presumably after removing the imported user as a subscriber first) the lamp works ok both on and off at that point? It’s only a situation where you’re importing standing Exchange users as subscribers? Is it a situation where the lamp goes on OK but does not turn off or is the lamp on already when you import the user and we’re just getting no lamp activity at all?

The first thing I’d verify is if Unity is getting event notification of inbox state changes for the user you’re importing. The easiest way to do this is to this is to setup a notification device (i.e. the home phone device setup to call an extension near you) to trigger on all types of messages at any time of the day… set it from disable to enabled and hit save. If there are any new messages in that user’s inbox we should be getting a dial out event if we’re connected to the inbox OK. If no dialout happens we’re not getting state change events from Exchange for that box… check the application event log for errors from the notifier in this case which might give a clue as to what’s going on.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Jeff, thanks for your response. To answer your questions:

The switch/integration is a dual 6509 catalyst/3524 in-link power and 2 VLAN for voice. The problem of the MWI light not shutting off is happening for about 10 users out of 250. The version of Unity is 2.4.6.102

The lamp goes on OK but after messages are listened to or read in Outlook, the light stays on. If I delete the subscriber and reimport, the light is on again (I haven't confirmed if the light goes off after I delete the account and then goes on as the account is added.) If I create a subscriber from scratch then the MWI light is not a problem anymore.

Not applicable

Gentlemen,
I am having this same problem I have about 6 users in about 100 that have the light that won't turn off. In the past I have gotten the light to turn off after sending a message to the user and then when they listen to that message the light goes off. Any help of this would be great.

Not applicable

it doesn't look like this question ever got answered adequately but I'll say that I've had the same problem and have found a more "User Admin" way to fix it : go into Unity Admin, go to the Subscriber, click "Messages," scroll down to the MWIs area at the bottom, and click the "Refresh Status" button --- usually that will work to clear a stuck MWI; otherwise, just having the user dial the MWI Off DN will make that pesky light turn off, too!