cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI lights stop working

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I'm using CM 3.0.6 and Unity 2.4 build 2.4.0.120. The MWI lights work fine for a while, then they eventually stop working. I usually just reboot the box and they all start working again. Any answers?? Thanks.<br><br>

9 Replies 9

Not applicable

This sounds like an intermitent problem we're investigating at a couple sites. We don't have any snappy answers at the moment, the notifier folks are working on it.

You should contact our support department and get added to that trouble ticket (it's QA incident #2163). If you could, turn on these traces now (while the MWIs and notifications are working OK):

ExchangeMonitor - 12,13 This will show us Exchange log-on failures before we retry any log ons and will show us exactly when we stopped getting Exchange notification.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Not applicable

Uh, what? What does the 12,13 reference in your suggestion to set up an Exchange Monitor??

Not applicable

Those are Unity traces...

go to the Tools link at the very bottom of the SA screen on the left. On that page select "ExchangeMonitor" from the drop down list of Components. Click on traces 10 and 11 and then press the save button at the top of the page.

this will activate some additional diagnostic logging around the Exchange monitoring component in Unity. Should help us see what's going on when your MWIs stop working.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice

Not applicable

Thanks for the response...I assume you really meant components 12 and 13 (mailbox logon and MAPI Notifications)and not 10 and 11. Anyway, where do I go to view the output? Thanks again.

Not applicable

I really did mean 10 and 11... if you want to turn on 12 and 13, that's fine. It wont log that much additional information.

The logs are going to be kinda hard to read unless you're looking for something specific. You'll find the DIAGxxx files in the logs directory under CommServer.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice

I'm having the same problem. Call mgr running 3.07, using Unity with Avtspcisco 1.0.0.24 driver. All of a sudden, the MWI stopped working.
Any updates ?

Not applicable

I have two sites running 2.4.120 who both seem to be seeing this issue, any updates ?

Chris

Not applicable

I assume both sites have a failover CallManager?

If this is the case, then I would make sure the MessageWaitingOnDn and MessageWaitingOffDn is set to the same value in the service parameters of both CallManagers.

My guess would be that Unity has probably failed over to the failover CallManager when the MWI's stop working. Unity will connect to the failover server when the primary CallManager goes offline for some reason. The 21 and 24 versions of the TSP will stay connected to the failover server until Unity is rebooted, the TSP is reset or the failover server goes offline.

If the CallManagers are configured correctly then it does not matter what CallManager Unity is connected to. MWI's should work when Unity is connected to the failover server. If they don't work then MessageWaiting extensions probably have not been set correctly on the failover CallManager. The CallManager service needs to be restarted before changes to these extensions take affect.

You can figure out what server Unity is connected to, by looking at the AvCiscoTsp_MS events in the application log. When Unity connects to a CallManager there will be an event with the IP address of the CallManager. You can use this event to verify that Unity is connected to the failover CallManager when the MWI's stop working.

FYI,
The version of the AvCiscoTsp that will come with Unity2.4.6 will have the ability to automatically reconnect back to the primary CallManager when it comes online. This feature can be turned on and off.

Aaron Belcher
Software Engineer
Active Voice
abelcher@activevoice.com

Not applicable

No I don't think it's a failover issue and I didn't put that in my post because of what was in Jeffs original post.

What appears to happen is that communication between Unity and Exchange stalls or slows down to the point that you can mark a voicemail as unread and it will take 30-60 secs for the message waiting indicator to light. The same applies when turning off. However, if you go into the Unity Subscriber Message page and click refresh, the MWI changes instantly.
The communication between Call Manager and Unity is fine.

To fix it, I had the customer shut down exchange and Unity servers, bring up exchange wait for it to stabilize and then bring up Unity. Initially the problem was still there, but after about 10 mins everything was fine again and was still OK this morning.

Chris