cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI lights

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

hi, <br>We just upgraded our Unity system over the weekend. Since the upgrade, the MWI light on the phones no longer lights up when a new message is left. A message is left in the voicemail box, a copy is forwarded to the user's Exchange mailbox and, if call forwarding is enabled for that user, Unity calls the number and informs the user that they have a voicemail message. However the MWI light never comes on. <br>I can dial the extension we assigned to MessageWaitingOn and Off DN, and can successfully turn the phone light on and off.<br>I have checked to make sure that the MWI extensions are the same on CM and Unity (they are), both systems have been rebooted.<br>I am running Unity version 2.4(6.135), with Av-Cisco TSP 1.0.0.36, and Cisco Call Manager 3.0(11).<br><br>Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br><br>heather.<br><br>

10 Replies 10

Not applicable

If you upgraded the TSP, make sure you have the correct lamp on/off DN's defined in the TSP properties. It's also advisable to run the Exchange Optimizer if that hasn't been done in a while -- if there are not enough MAPI threads to keep tabs on each subscriber's Inbox, there can be inconsistent MWI (not to mention other problems).

There is also an MWI troubleshooting guide which should always be listed at the top of this forum -- was that helpful? If not, where did you get stuck?

Not applicable

Yes, I have checked and made sure that I have the correct lamp on/off DN in the TSP properties and in CM's Service Parameters. Both are set for the correct DNs.

I have checked the trouble shooting guide at the top of the forum and went through all of the suggested fixes/tips. None have corrected the issue with our MWIs, although one of the verification tips asks to call up the Unity status monitor and then go into Unity admin ->Subscribers->Messages page and hit the "Refresh status button" and states that I should see a "Dialing" (MWI) 'X' message in the display window. I do not see that message. That is probably a bad thing, huh?
I have gone back into Unity Admin > Subscribers > Messages and verified that 'Use MWI for message notification' is checked off, done a refresh status, made sure that Extension is set to 'X', Status reads off, however. Should status in this field read Off? Am I totally getting off track here?
thanks-
heather

Not applicable

Can you check to see what the swith file is? HKLM\Software\Active Voice\MIU\1.0\Initialization\Switch 0 (if dual switch, then Switch 1).

Is this a dual switch configuration by any chance? If so, make sure the port assignments on the ports page jive to the correct switch. If there was an uninstall and reinstall of the TSP, those could get jacked.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

the Switch Configuration File reads CISCO0002.INI

There is only one Cisco Call Manager in this setup, but I have double checked and made sure that the Unity TSP is configured to look at the correct CM address. As far as the correct port assignments on the ports page, please don't think that I am completely dense, but do you mean that in Unity Admin > System> Ports, the Extension is set to read the as the Directory Number for that port on the Call Manager side right? So if the Directory Number for my first uOne port in Call Manager is 5000, the Extension in the Ports page is 5000 too, right?

Not applicable

If the Status Indicator on the subscriber's Messages page shows 'Off' when there are definitely new messages in that person's Inbox, it's probably an indicator that the notifier isn't getting logged in to the mailbox.

Running the Exchange Optimizer would be a good option if you haven't done this yet.

This can also be the result of an LDAP problem, although I would expect you might also be having problems checking messages over the telephone. Does this problem happen for just one subscriber, a group of subscribers, or is it system-wide?

Not applicable

The problem is system wide actually. I just uninstalled then reinstalled the TSP again, hoping that might have some positive effect, but nothing has changed.

I also ran Exchange Optimzer, but that hasn't made any difference here either.

I know there are new messages in my mailbox, but the Status Indicator on the Messages page always reads 'Off'. Again, I receive Off Site Notifcation of a message, and I receive a notice in my Exchange mailbox, but no MWI on the phone.

There are no problems with users accessing their voicemail boxes remotely, from their cells, etc.

Not applicable

OK, if you're getting pager/cell notification, then it sounds like Unity's aware of the new message. But it's not even attempting to do the lamp codes.

Are all of the Unity ports connected to the Call Manager?
Are there ports enabled for MWI dialouts in the SA?
What are your on/off Dn's?
What range of extensions are your subscribers using?
Were any changes made to the Call Manager configuration? on/off DN's changed, partition assignments reorganized, etc?

It's starting to sound like maybe the partition for the Uone ports doesn't include a Calling Search Space that allows for the dialing of the necessary DN's.

You might want to open a TAC case if you're totally stuck: http://www.cisco.com/public/support/tac/home.shtml

Not applicable

yes, I checked and made sure that the Unity ports are connected to the CM, and the ports are enabled for ddial outs in the SA.
we are using 5005 for Off and 5006 for On, and the extension range is 1000-**** (autoregistration)
As far as I know no one has made any changes to the CM, only the Unity box (Version upgrade and TSP upgrade), and we are not using Calling Search Space, and the only Partition is the Default, is not in use either (ie nothing is assigned to use it)

I think that I will try and get TAC to take a look at this with me, but if you have any other thoughts, please let me know, okay? Tis would be greatly appreciated!

Are you using Partitions and Calling Search Spaces on the CallManager? If so, you need to make sure that the uOne ports have the correct Calling Search Space configured, Unity needs to have the rights to dial any subscriber extension in order for MWI to work, otherwise, the symptoms you describe will be the result.

-Dustin

Not applicable

The port assignments are only applicable if Unity is doing dual-switch (i.e. CallMananger AND a legacy PBX).

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems