cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI on, but no message

j.bilodeau
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 4.0.3. Someone is complaining that the light is on but no message. Either there's a bug or probably there is something that make the light on from a call handler or subscriber. Is there a tool that could tell me witch subscriber or call handler has a mwi associate for a specific user? Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You could pull up the Cisco Unity Data Link Explorer (CUDLE) tool, click on the NotificationMwi table then sort by MwiExtension. 'X' indicates that the MWI extension is the same as the user's primary extension. If you find it, look at the parentalias field for that row and you'll see who it is.

Aside from that, there could be a number of other issues. If the light was on before setting up the subscriber with that extension, you'd see that. I would start by looking at that subscriber and seeing if Unity thinks he has messages or not (subscriber->messages from the SA). Try resynching that mailbox and see if it changes. There may also have been errors setting the light off. Usually there will be an error in the event logs when it tried (and failed) to set the lamp.

I have exactly the same problem -- also Unity 4.0(3), CM 3.3(3)SR4, Exchange 2003 in a 2003 domain. New messages are processed correctly, i.e., "1 new message" pops up, and after you listen and delete it, Ms Cisco says "you have no new messages" and "you have no old messages", but the MWI remains on, and "You have voicemail" is on the screen. There is no message in the Exchange mailbox.

Rebooting Unity cleared the MWI, but it seems kind of like overkill.

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Instead of rebooting, you could have tried opening UTIM and resync MWI for all phones (unity 4.x).

I had seen an issue where the MWI is on, and when they go check via TUI, they hear "that message is not available". Scanmail was config'd to delete ZIP-attachments but it was removing the wav-files too.

I have tried resynching MWI in previous cases where this happened, to no avail. I'm going to dig into the logging facilities and turn on appropriate logging to try to catch the next instance in-flight. We're a small shop (under 70 Unity subscribers) so performance is not an issue.

We're using McAfee Groupshield on Exchange to trash executables and encrypted/password-protected .zips, but .wav attachments are passed through OK. We're finding that several subscribers prefer to receive their voicemail messages via Exchange, so there may be some support for Integrated Messaging in spite of its high cost.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: