Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MWI on two different partition number

I'm the following problem: I would like to turn on the mwi on two phone with the same extension in two different partition: do you think is it possible? I guess I shoul use Translation Pattern but I cannot understand how...

Thanks in advance for you help

10 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: MWI on two different partition number

Here's something to try... in the Unity subscriber page, pre-pend the MWI extensions with a digit or two, different for each partition. Now Unity will send out unique MWI requests for each phone. Translation Patterns should be able to map these to the correct parition/extension combo more easily.

-Eric

Cisco Employee

First, you have to be able to have separate numbers that can call this extension. For instance, if the extension 1234, you could use 2012345 for the one extension and 2112345 for the other "12345" extension. This is accomplished by using Translation Patterns. You do this by having separate translation patterns, 21.XXXX and 20.XXXX. Each will discard the 'pre-dot' digits. The 21.XXXX will then have a Calling Search space that includes the '12345' extension in the one partition and the 20.xxxx will have a CSS that includes the other partition's 12345. That way, depending on whether 2112345 or 2012345 is dialed, they'll go to the right 12345.

In Unity, the subscribers must have unique extensions, so you would use 2112345 and 2012345 for the unity subscribers.

The calling search space that the voicemail ports are in needs to be able to dial those 20.. and 21... extensions and ring the phones.

Lastly, make sure in the CallManager Service Parameters, you have MultitenantMWImode enabled. This will allow the MWI calls to use the translation patterns.

Very important suggestion. But I have still some doubt: the TP that you speak about must be in a CSS specific. Must this CSS must be assigned to the VM port or to the MWI number? I have seen that you speak about VM port ..but if you confirm it, what does the CSS related to the MWI number is used for?

Then, it's not so clear what does the parameter MultitenantMWImode is needed for. If this is not set on, what does it happen? The CSS of the VM port or of the MWI number is not taken in accout?

Thanks a lot for any info. About the MultitenantMWImode the public doc is not very clear, there are only some note.

Another question is: if I use the two TP with the two extension, when someone call ext 12345 in partition 21..... and this ext. is forwarded to the VM, how can the VM understand from which partition the call is forwarded? The "forwarding" number is always 12345.......

Fabio

Cisco Employee

Both TPs must exist in a partition that is contained in the Calling Search Space assigned to the voice mail ports. This is just so Unity can transfer calls out to those phones AND for the MWI messages that Unity sends.

Without it, the MWI messages would go out such that Unity would go off-hook with 2112345 or 2012345 and the numbers would not get translated (to the 12345 in the correct partition); since those numbers don't exist, those phones light will never come on.

To make it simple, make sure that Unity can transfer to the 12345 extension in each partition. If that works and the MultitennantMWImode is true, then MWIs will work, too.

Good point about the forwarding. What you do is for each partition, you create a voicemail profile in callmanager. The voicemail box mask would then be 21XXXXX for one and 20XXXXX for the other. Then when it rolls to voicemail it'll show up with the right extension that Unity can recognize.

Now the situation is more clear. Tomorrow I will do some test in our lab. Only a question: the CSS on the MWI "configuration" on the CM side what are needed for? If I put the CSS on the VM port I cannot understand the function of CSS on MWI. And then ....a suggestion...my situation is quite strange, I have two number in two partition but..the VM must be the same for both and only the MWi must be managed for the two different phone. So, do you think that this is possible to arrange? I think that for leaving message is not a problem...is already working now. The problem is only the MWI but if I use you suggestion it should work. The only thing is that I have to use two MWI ext. number in the same "subscriber" config but I have seen that this is possible. I will use the 2112345 and the 2012345, with the two TP.

Fabio

Cisco Employee

When Unity goes to send an MWI, it will do it with the 2012345/2112345 numbers since it has no knowledge that the actual number is 12345 in each case. The translation patterns in this case (with MultiTenantMWIMode=true) are applied to the MWI request so that 2112345 is translated to the 12345 in the correct partition.

I'm not sure I understand your request; do you mean to say you want two numbers in two partitions with same VM mailbox but MWI is set for two different phones? if that's the case, then yes, you can set up two differnet MWI extension numbers in the subscriber configuration and it should work.

The situation I was describing (which I thought you were trying to do) is when you have two numbers in two partitions that are completely separate (i.e. two different voicemail boxes).

The situation is exactly what you are describing there but what you said in precedence is very important because without the "parameter" and the other stuff I could not turn on-off both the phone MWI in parallel because they have the same ext. in different partition so the solution proposed is perfect. Now it works putting the TP in the CSS of the VM port. But for my info, the CSS on the MWI page what is needed for ? Which are the difference agains putting the CSS there and in the VM port? Who win if there are both configured? Sorry for my question but I have seen that you know very well this part and to tell the true is not very well documented in the CCO....

Thanks again

Fabio

Gold

Another way that you can do this, which won’t require too much configuration, is to add another node in the CallManager cluster as second cluster in the Unity TSP. When Unity has two CallManager clusters configured it will send MWI on/off commands to each of them. So adding a second node in the same cluster as a second cluster tricks Unity in to sending the command twice to the same cluster, just on different ports. From there you can use the CSS assigned to the ports to control which partition it lights MWI for.

A customer with a +5,000 phone deployment is currently using this method.

Hope this helps...

Keith

Hi kechambe

I kind of confuse on what you mean by adding a second node. Do you know of any docos in Cisco for this. I want to turn on MWI for two phones in the same partition when one person get a message on their inbox.

Hi,

If the two phones have different ext. number you can do that directly on unity subscriber configuration pages, adding a secondary MWI extension.

Fabio

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content