cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI port ratio

jaywydra
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know what Cisco suggests as a baseline for assigning MWI ports? What is the ratio of ports that should be assigned to only do MWI? I understand that this will depend on call volume and you might need to play around with it. I'm looking for baselines. For instance, out of 32 ports, how many should be assigned for MWI (only) to start?

Thanks,

Jason Wydra

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That depends quite a bit on the switch integration you're using - if we're doing MWIs via analog calls they'll go _quite_ a bit slower than if they're being done digitially (i.e. as with CM) - and of course with serial integrations it's not an issue.

What kind of switch integration are you talking about here?

This is a Call Manager/Unity integration. Centralized call processing. Digital MWI.

Thanks.

The integration guide for CM contains a section on port planning that covers the base reccomendations - you'll find all the integration guides for all switches for Unity 4.0(x) here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/integuid/index.htm

Look for a section titled "Planning How the Voice Messaging Ports Will Be Used by Cisco Unity".

In the case of CM, MWIs are sent out very fast and the need for more than one per CM cluster is probably pretty rare I would think.