cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need clarfication on Call-waiting beep in CME 3.3

spodonnell
Level 1
Level 1

I've read the documentation on "call-waiting beep" accept and generate and don't understand what it is stating.

Would someone please put it in layman terms for me.

5 Replies 5

kthorngr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please point us to the specific documentation/text you are referring to.

Kevin

See the paragraph below. It sounds like accept and generate do the same thing.

For Cisco CME 3.2 and later versions, call-waiting beeps can be switched on or off for individual

ephone-dns. You can choose to enable or disable the call-waiting beeps generated from and accepted by

an ephone-dn.

Call-waiting beeps are enabled by default. The command for disabling an ephone-dn’s beep generation

is no call-waiting beep generate. The command for disabling an ephone’s acceptance of call-waiting

beeps is no call-waiting beep accept.

If an ephone-dn’s beep generation is disabled, incoming calls to the ephone-dn do not generate

call-waiting beeps. If an ephone dn’s beep acceptance is disabled, the ephone-dn user will not hear beep

sounds when using the ephone-dn for an active call.

[no] call-waiting beep generate is an *ephone-dn* command, and controls whether calls to that ephone-dn (i.e. an extension number) will generate a call-waiting beep that is sent to the ephones on which the ephone-dn is present.

[no] call-waiting beep accept is an *ephone* command, and controls whether call-waiting beeps generated by any of the ephone-dn's present on that ephone (i.e. assigned to any of the buttons on the phone) will actually be heard by the user. If you use the "no" form of this command, the user of this ephone will never hear a call-waiting beep, whether or not any of the ephone-dn's present on the phone are configured to generate them.

Call-waiting beep accept is NOT and *ephone* command in the 12.4.1a code I'm running.

Both command are only configurable under an ephone-dn

And to that end, it appears the built-in help offers the best discription of what each does.

See below.

#call-waiting beep ?

accept Suppress output of call-waiting beeps from another line when dn is active

generate Suppress call-waiting beeps on incoming call on this dn

So based on this, it appears the accept option is only really applicable if you have more than a single line(dn) on your phone and you don't want call to other DN's on your phone causing a beep on the ephone-dn line being configured.

Ack, you're right, of course. Sorry for the bad information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: