Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Need to implement a VoIP solution for a single site.

Hello,

I've a client (Small office) who wants to have a voip solution. Client have an existing data connection to the internet (T1) and also got a cisco 2621 Router. What else does he needs to realize that.Could you please specify what hardware and software he needs..

Thanks

Abdi

5 REPLIES

Re: Need to implement a VoIP solution for a single site.

Can you enlighten us on the need for VoIP when there is just a single site? Depending on what they want to accomplish VoIP might not be the answer.

Well, The place is a business office with 10 ppl and wanted to use their wan connection both for data and voice. They want to use phone, fax and other futures that comes in with voice.Should they use managed Internet phone? what is your suggestion?

Abdi

I am a bit confused. They want to use their WAN connection? WAN connection to what? Or do you mean their Internet connection? WAN implies a connectionto another network such as back to headquarters, another office etc. Do they actually have a WAN or are we talking about their Internet connection? Need to be clear on this before I can offer an option. If it is a WAN connection what is the bandwidth and what type is it? T1, DSL?

Sorry for not being clear. .....It's not a branch or Headquarter connection. It's a full T1 (1.544M) connection to the internet.Is it possibe to setup VOIP solution so client can get an internet phone.

Thanks

Abdi

It is possible to setup a VoIP solution but with this being one location I think a managed solution would be best. What the managed service would do would basically allow you to keep your current equipment and phone numbers but they would take the service from the local phone conmpany and route all of your calls over the Internet and usually give you unlimited long distance. Your curretn T1 providor may even offer a service. There are pros and cons to each providor but here are a few.

http://www.vonage.com/small_business/

http://www.cbeyond.com/

http://www.voipchoices.com/packet8-info.html

CBeyond seems to be getting some good press these days but they are only in select cities.

I know there is a lot of buzz about VoIP right now but it only makes sense in cetain situations. You may be better off checking with your local telco as they are starting to offer unlimited long distance calling for small business like they do residential service.

Is eliminating the monthly phone charge and long distance charges the motivating factor in this desire?

MCI also offers a ver good service but your would have to switch to them for your Internet.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate all posts.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content