Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Need to terminate PRI on a 2821

I seem to have found myself in a bit of a corner here, and I need some guidance.

I have a small Callmanager Express 3.2 system working here, currently we have 6 phones, and a 2821 serving as the voice gateway and CME. We have 4 FXO lines as our PSTN connectivity.

The original plan was to move to T1, so we now have a PRI T1 coming in the next couple of weeks. I need to know now how I can terminate the PRI on my 2821. The kicker is, I don't have a free Network Module slot.

When I bought the system, I told the sales rep that we would eventually be moving to PRI as our method of PSTN connectivity, so he sold us the router with a VWIC2-2MFT-T1 (2-port multiflex T1 VWIC). Now that I have done some more research, I am not sure this card will work to terminate a PRI T1.

I have CUE taking up the only NM slot in the router, leaving me with only 2 HWIC slots and one EVM slot free. If the VWIC2-2MFT-T1 isn't the correct card to terminate a PRI, then is there any way to do it with a VWIC or EVM module?

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need to terminate PRI on a 2821

Chris,

a full t1 port requires atleast 24 DSP channels to be configured. So I am sure with the FXO (4 port) already installed in the router, and the t1 vwic will require atleast a PVDM2-32 or higher.

Also, the vwic you have can be configured as a t1 or e1 port. So you need to configure,

Router(config)#card type t1 1 1

After this you should see two controllers in your config. To change controller type to e1 you can do "card type e1 1 1", but you will have to reboot the router every time you change controller types.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

6 REPLIES
Silver

The VWIC2-2MFT-T1 is exactly the card you need to handle a PRI. My question for you is whether you have enough DSP resources provisioned on your router. Beyond that, a basic h.323 config for the PRI is what you need to get up and going.

Community Member

Perfect. I didn't see anything in the sales fluff or docs that stated definitively whether or not it was the right card.

I should be OK for DSP resources, I have a PVDM-64 card on the board now and room for more if necessary.

Thanks!

You can buy a vwic2-1mft-t1/e1 which is a 1 port card 1300$ list, or the vwic2-2mft-t1/e1 which is a 2 port card 2000$ list.. So you are right on track. You can put this card in the hwic slots. You will also need additional DSPs to support a full t1 on the 2821. Use DSP calculator to figure out how many dsps you need.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/DSP/cisco_prodsel.pl

Sankar

Community Member

Thank you. Luckily, I already have the VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1, I just wasn't sure if that was the correct peice of hardware or not.

I went through the DSP calculator to make sure my DSP resources would be adequate, and it recommended a PVDM-16, so it seems that I have more than enough capacity for now.

New question:

I have the VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 in the router, however, there doesn't seem to be any additional interfaces defined in the system, and the "isdn switch-type" command in config mode comes back as invalid. Is there more configuration I have to do to get this card running?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

a full t1 port requires atleast 24 DSP channels to be configured. So I am sure with the FXO (4 port) already installed in the router, and the t1 vwic will require atleast a PVDM2-32 or higher.

Also, the vwic you have can be configured as a t1 or e1 port. So you need to configure,

Router(config)#card type t1 1 1

After this you should see two controllers in your config. To change controller type to e1 you can do "card type e1 1 1", but you will have to reboot the router every time you change controller types.

HTH

Sankar

Community Member

Sankar,

Thank you! I just issued the card type t1 command and now I see two controller T1 entries in the config.

I also forgot to mention in my earlier post, I already have a PVDM2-64 in the router, so I should be fine for DSP resources.

Thanks,

Chris

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content