cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

nesting call handlers

fromaj
Level 1
Level 1

hello all. here is my issue... I am trying to creat a call flow with my Unity AA to transfer to other departments and to off premise numbers. I set up a call handler to play a greeting, give options for different departments and if nothing was chosen, to hang up. Each button that the user presses under caller input sends the caller to another call handler. These call handlers are set up to do a variety of things, but the main thing that they do is transfer to numbers in an out of my company. None of these transfers work. For example, a caller calls in to the opening greeting, listens to the greeting that says press 1 to be connected to tech support. They press 1 which attempts to transfer to call handler tech support. I know that it gets sucessfully transferred to that call handler. In that call handler, under call transfer, I say "yes, ring a subscriber at this extension" and put in 9, and my cell number. It never transfers, though. it goes to the greeting for that call handler and attempts to take a message (the default settings for the greeting section) Why is it skipping the call transfer rule? Is the problem that it is being transferred from one rule to another and you can only use the call transfer section on the root of the AA tree? What is going on. I appreciate the input.<br><br>Alan<br><br>

9 Replies 9

Not applicable

Best guess based on your description is that you have a transfer rule enabled on the target call handler that's not getting triggered (i.e. the standard transfer rule is enabled and you're hitting it after hours or something).

Try making sure the target call handlers have the alternate transfer rule enabled and active and use that to transfer to your numbers. That way you're SURE it'll fire that rule since the alternate will over ride the other three.

no, there's no weird restrictions on where these can be or how deep a nested tree can go or anything along those lines...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

thanks for your response. I have tried to set the alternate, standard, and closed call transfer settings to "yes, ring a subscriber at this extension" put in the 9,5554444 number. This is kind of a continuation of my earlier issue with CTI route point issue. I hit the CTI route point, which transfers to the first voicemail port number. There is a routing rule for forwarded calls that states if the dialed number is 2524, send to greeting for my main call handler called "incomming default". That handler gives a message saying that if you want this department, hit this button. For example, hit 1 to go to tech support. under the caller input section, for key 1, it say to send to caller call handler - attempt to transfer for "tech support". this call handler has the call transfer settings as described above. All three options say to ring the subscriber at the external number and release to switch. I am getting frusterated. This should not be this hard. Transferring to this call handler seems to simply skip the call transfer rules. ARGH!! been working on this all day. Thank you for your patience.

Alan Jackson
Network Engineer
CCNA, CCDA, MCSE+I, CNE,

Not applicable

well, based on your description this should work... it really shouldn't be that complex, I've done many of these. I'm not sure what might be happening to cause the transfer rule to not fire (or if it is firing, why it's failing and dropping right through to the greeting).

I guess the next thing to figure out is if you're beating on the wrong horse... if Unity is attempting the transfer and it's failing right away because of a CM configuration issue of some point we'd need to figure that out. The easiest way to do this is to fire up the StatusMonitor.exe under the commserver directory, monitor all ports and do a test call. It should show all the conversation states that the call goes through when you hit the one key option to try the handler. If it goes through the phTransfer conversation then we are trying the transfer and it's failing (i.e. line is reported as busy) and we go right to the greeting.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

That was a very helpfull tip Jeff. I was not aware of that diagnostic tool. it is indeed trying to transfer and is unable to. I changed the "yes ring a subscriber at this extension" number to an internal IP phone and it rings like a champ. Any external number does not work, though. It seems to try and fail. I have the voicemail ports on the callmanager set to the same calling search space, partition, location, etc... as all of the phones here. All of the phones can hit 9, get an outside line and dial any local number. I have a route pattern for 9.@ so anything is open. How do I determine where the failure is?

Alan Jackson
Network Engineer
CCNA, CCDA, MCSE+I, CNE,

Not applicable

We had a similar problem (see http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=Unity3x&Number=12306&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&vc=1#Post12306) where we couldn't transfer to any non-CM numbers - we were trying to "release to switch" and "solved" the problem in the short term by switching to supervised transfer and crnking the ring count up above what it should take to answer...

It worked for us - though we expect there's a reason we should be able to use "release to switch" - again see above thread - I wonder if this is your problem...?

Ken Johnson
Mgr. Network Services
LeTourneau University
http://www.letu.edu/

Not applicable

P.S. - Just to try the same troubleshooting I tried to launch statusmonitor.exe on our Unity box to ewatch - and it runs for a second in task manager but then dies without ever appearing on the screen - did this several times before i gave up - not sure if that indicates a problem on my end - was a little dissapointed though after the rave review :-)

My only copy is in the TechTools directory if it makes a difference - not commserver (3.1.3)

Ken Johnson
Mgr. Network Services
LeTourneau University
http://www.letu.edu/

Edited by CapnFinVark on 5/23/02 05:05 PM.

Weird-ass problem... I figured it out, though.... Unity was regestering all of it's ports to my secondary callmanager. This callmanager was not receiving updates from the primary. Rebooting both solved the problem.

Thank you all for your help

Alan Jackson
Network Engineer
CCNA, CCDA, MCSE+I, CNE,

Long shot, but you might also want to take a peek at the Restrictions table to make sure you're allowing the call to be made. If the transferred number really is 9,1...; you might be running in to this.

actually, the restriction tables are not enforced at dial time... they are enforced with the number is changed. The RT associated with the COS of the user making the transfer number/dialout number/fax delivery number change (either via the SA/AA or over the TUI) is used to decide if they can set it to that number. Once a transfer number is set, it'll always fire.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com