cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

networking two AD forests

robrhodes
Level 3
Level 3

I have a customer that requires both UM and VM installs of Unity. They require the ability to forward voicemail between systems. Is it possible to build these in two AD forests with 2 way trust and use Unity networking? Is there a better way?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Digital Networking is the native networking protocol for Unity. The directory is used for all data replication needed for Digital Networking. As such, a Digital Network is limited to Unity nodes with a single forest, exchange 5.5 directory or domino address book.

To network Digital Networks together you will want to look at SMTP networking which is free, or VPIM which is a pay feature. VPIM adds the ability to send a voice name with the message.

We are looking at providing a directory synchronization option for VPIM but nothing is committed for a release yet.

Thanks,

Keith

Thanks. I was looking for an automated process, rather than SMTP. Is there support if a Metadirectory, such as MMS, is used?

No there is no support for any type of cross directory replication. The entire architecture of Unity assumes far too much about the messaging system and directory to allow replication to work. There isn't a strong solution for this type of situation today.

Keith

Thanks again, although not what I wanted to hear. Since it looks like I'll need to add several hundred Internet subscribers on each system, is there a version of the Bulk Import utility that can specify that type of user?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: