Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

New IPT implementation

We are in the design stage of a small IPT project....We will be installing CCM 5...There are 7 total sites each with some PSTN connectivity. I found in the Cisco press Cisco IP Telephony: Planning, Design, Implementation, Operation, and Optimization an example of how to setup the partitions for a new install and don't fully agree with their recommendation...Their design goes as follows:

Put all phones in an internal partion

Create a seperate Partition for each site for all of the following 911, Local, LD, International. This creates 3 paritions for each site....

Partitions that will allow for TEHO for each site...

Paritions for Tollfree for each site...

Partitions for AAR for each site...

And many more....

Aren't you limited in the number of paritions you can use....

My theory is the following:

Each Location has a Partition for the phones

Each Location has a Partition for CallProccessing...

the CSS for a phone @ a Location will have all the phones it should be able to call as well as only its call processing partition...Your route patterns would be able to be associated to the CallProcessing partition and allow you controll the calls from each site more granually...

I have a bit of experience with Call Manager but I would like to understand if the "Cisco" way is the best way for future growth or is this just the "best" way they could explain it...

Thanks,

Joe

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: New IPT implementation

It all comes down to your requirements for classes of service. The book has a pretty good recommedations, the only one I don't agree with is a seperate partition for TEHO. If number of partitions/CSS is your concern you should definitely go with the line/device approach. If you're not familiar with it take a look at CCM SRND for good explanation.

Also, unless you need to restrict phones from calling each other there is no need for seperate phone partition per site. I always place them in internal-pt, unless there is a specifiv need not to allow users from calling each other internally.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for your response, I understand the line/device approach...So how would you suggest approaching the TEHO...the implementation we will be working on has the following chararistics....1 main site where CCM will be housed...6 remote sites...all are within the same area code...some are within the same lata...we want to provide them with local calling to all areas if bandwidth is available...site A can call a phone that is in Site B's lata with no toll charges...From their example they create another Parition per site to handle this...is there a better way...Also do you recommend that the Line parition create the COS..the device parition is designed for more location specific information...I just want to start this implementation to give room for growth..they are planning on adding 5 more locations in the coming year...hope you can put me on the right track...

Thanks,

Joe

Hall of Fame Super Silver

The best way to handle TEHO is to inculde multiple RGs in RLs, so for example consider site A in New York (212) and sie B in Chicago (312). New York phones dials 312-xxx-xxxx, you define a route pattern 91312.XXXXXXX which points to route lists that has to route groups in it, 1st choica is route group pointing to Chicago GW, this route group (within a route list) strips PreDot digits and send the call as local 7 digit call. The second option within the route lists is New York RG which strips PreDot and prefixes 1312. So this way if Chicago Gateway is unavailable the call goes out via NY GW as a long distance call.

It's your call what partition you assign to the route pattern, you can create new TEHO-PT or simply use site specific LD-PT or LOCAL-PT depending if you want to allow these calls to users with local calling privilages.

The way you use Line/Device approach is you open full "site" access from Device by assigning CSS that has full access to all route patterns, and then you block certain calling patterns from Line by assigning Blocking CSS, the idea here is limit number of paritions and CSS, so you only have one open CSSes per site, and 3 (usually) global blocking CSSes. Similarly with paritions.

This is very scalable approach and makes more and more sense as you keep adding new sites.

HTH, please rate all posts!

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for your response...I am familiar with route lists and route groups (digit manipulation within route groups) and so forth...I think I will mimic the solution referenced...I am getting more comfortable with the concept of COR using device/line css ...

Thanks,

Joe

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content